Water festival to resume in 2016.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Water festival to resume in 2016.

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

ImagePhotograph from Water Festival 2014.

Cambodia to resume water festival: PM
Published: 19/09/2016 17:35

PHNOM PENH, Sept. 19 (FN) — Cambodian Prime Minister Samdech Techo HE said on Monday that the country will restart its annual three-day Water Festival this year after last year's cancellation due to low water levels.

This year's festival will be celebrated on Nov. 13, 14 and 15.

"Boat racing will be held on schedule this year," he said during a graduation ceremony at the Panha Chiet University here.

Water Festival is the biggest annual festival in this Southeast Asian nation, that sees hundreds of thousands of people from across the Kingdom travelling to capital Phnom Penh to enjoy boat races, to be held on Tonle Sap River in front of the Royal Palace.

http://www.en.freshnewsasia.com/index.p ... estival-pm
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Water festival to resume in 2016.

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

a wedding means im going to miss this for yet again another year, one day, one day
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Damn it,

Looks like I will be taking a holiday as to not get trapped again.

My apartment is near Wat Botom so i was locked in last year, I managed to walk to the pickled parrot where I stayed for 3 days on a massive binge until the roads reopened.

Good times!! :beer3: :beer2:
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

After that stampede accident, water festival is not something i fancy to see anymore. In general i really don't enjoy the water festival, just too many people and boring.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Samouth wrote:After that stampede accident, water festival is not something i fancy to see anymore. In general i really don't enjoy the water festival, just too many people and boring.
It'll be something new for me, but having read the Wikipedia article about the stampede I'll be careful where I go.

Cambodia needs event-driven tourism.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

timmydownawell wrote:
Samouth wrote:After that stampede accident, water festival is not something i fancy to see anymore. In general i really don't enjoy the water festival, just too many people and boring.
It'll be something new for me, but having read the Wikipedia article about the stampede I'll be careful where I go.

Yes that stampede accident was crazy. I was in Phnom Penh at that time, but I didn't leave my home at all for the whole three days. At that night, the whole city was chaotic and so many rumors about the accident circulated on internet and mouth to mouth.

Right, if you are planing to join this year water festival, you should be careful and don't ever hangout on the bridge and don't bring your own transportation mean.

BTW, water festival is kinda a thing for Cambodians from the countryside. It is pretty much a time where many people from the province to come to see the boat racing but pretty much to see the city.

Little salary, posted some interesting pictures she took on here before about the water festival that she attended. I guess she might has something to talk more about this festival.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Samouth wrote:
timmydownawell wrote:

Yes that stampede accident was crazy. I was in Phnom Penh at that time, but I didn't leave my home at all for the whole three days. At that night, the whole city was chaotic and so many rumors about the accident circulated on internet and mouth to mouth.

Right, if you are planing to join this year water festival, you should be careful and don't ever hangout on the bridge and don't bring your own transportation mean.

BTW, water festival is kinda a thing for Cambodians from the countryside. It is pretty much a time where many people from the province to come to see the boat racing but pretty much to see the city.

Little salary, posted some interesting pictures she took on here before about the water festival that she attended. I guess she might has something to talk more about this festival.
Thankd for the info. I'll definitely check it out but yes avoid the bridge obviously and anywhere else with crush potential.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

I went once, but will never go again.

The whole of the road along the riverside is wall to wall people. On one side they are walking north and the other side walking south. You have little choice but to go with the flow.
Pick-pockets all around you.
Good place if you want to look at people. If you want to watch boat races, you're better off staying home and watching it on tv.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Username Taken wrote:I went once, but will never go again.

The whole of the road along the riverside is wall to wall people. On one side they are walking north and the other side walking south. You have little choice but to go with the flow.
Pick-pockets all around you.

Good place if you want to look at people. If you want to watch boat races, you're better off staying home and watching it on tv.
And oh, so, so many beautiful girls. I go there just for the looks and big smiles.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Most of the girls in our village have no desire to go since boys like to take advantage of the anonymity of the crowded situation and "luec stieup" (cop a feel). It's not just pockets that get picked.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic