Maybe You Need To Consider Again Before Eating Morning Glory

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Maybe You Need To Consider Again Before Eating Morning Glory

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

The morning glory farmers don’t dare to eat their own morning glory

Phnom Penh: the food security is the concern of many Cambodian. However, no related institutions have taken action towards it. One abroad source mentioned that Cambodians are eating poison.

According to Thmey Thmey, Around 6:30 am, the sun has been rising on the morning glory farms on Beung Tumpun (Tumpun Lake), south of Phnom Penh. This area is a new development area, however the morning glory still remains here.

Very greenery view of morning glory on big plot of land shining on by the sunlight and surrendered by the pound, you might think that it is really natural, however it is not.

Walking close to the farm, there are some people spraying the morning glory with chemical substance to make it growing faster. They know that it is not good for health but she still do it. The income and the livelihood of the family are the biggest concern than heath problem.

Says Samnang, he has been growing morning glory for more than 20 years. He frankly said he does know that chemical is not good for health as well as other morning glory famers, but we don’t have choice. He stressed that even though he grows it by himself but he will not eat it. I once got food poisoning and I had server diarrhea. Mr Samnang also said that if they spray the chemical in the evening, in the morning next day they will be able to harvest.

Samnang is a 50 years old farmer and he does know about the negative effect of chemical that’s why he didn’t allow his wife and children to come to help him with growing the morning glory. He said, a few farmers in his village died from severe lung problem which resulted from the chemical they used at the farm. It was mentioned by the doctor.

With his sad face, Samnang said he does realize about the risk of using chemical but he doesn’t have other choice. It is risking but it helps him to earn quite big amount of money. He could earn 1000 dollar each month.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Maybe You Need To Consider Again Before Eating Morning Glory

Post by John Bingham »

I know that area well. A lot of the lake has been filled in in recent years. I used to ask locals what all the draguon or morning glory was getting harvested for. They always said it was for pig-feed but then I never saw too many people keeping pigs within the city limits. There were all these old ladies in canoes, they seemed to wear about 5 kramas at a time. There are still a few around, just not as close to the city.
This picture was taken out the back window of a house on 271 in about 2005:
It doesn't look like that now. It's all fill. And it looks nice in a photo because I cropped out the power-lines and you can't smell that stinky black water!
Silence, exile, and cunning.
crummyjuggler
Expatriate

Post by crummyjuggler »

Spraying a chemical substance to make it grow faster?? You mean fertilizer? You gotta be more specific if its poison. Its already growing in shit water, full of prescription drugs.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

These aren't morning glories they don't grow in water.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

beaker wrote:These aren't morning glories they don't grow in water.
They certainly do. You might be confusing them with the Morning Glory flower.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipomoea_aquatica
Silence, exile, and cunning.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

No not confused sez morning glory not Ipomoea aquatica .

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morning_glory
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

While your use of a citation is laudable, you would do well to read it yourself, prior to trying to use it in support of your fallacious attempt at argument.

Ipomoea Aquatica is indeed commonly called "Morning Glory" in the source document.

To wit:
Morning glory (also written as morning-glory[1]) is the common name for over 1,000 species of flowering plants in the family Convolvulaceae, whose current taxonomy and systematics are in flux. Morning glory species belong to many genera, some of which are:

Calystegia
Convolvulus
Ipomoea
Merremia
Rivea
Astripomoea
Operculina
Stictocardia
Argyreia
Lepistemon
Contents
Habit
Cultivation
History
Culinary uses
Ethnobotany

from

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morning_glory
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Well i did read it and it said moist or dry soil which are the type i am familiar with but i didn't read the other varieties.
Wiki needs to be edited perhaps

Habitat Edit

Most morning glory flowers unravel into full bloom in the early morning. The flowers usually start to fade a few hours before the "petals" start showing visible curling. They prefer full solar exposure throughout the day, and mesic soils. Some morning glories, such as Ipomoea muricata, are night-blooming flowers.

In some places, such as Australian bushland, some species of morning glories develop thick roots and tend to grow in dense thickets. They can quickly spread by way of long, creeping stems. By crowding out, blanketing and smothering other plants, morning glory has turned into a serious invasive weed problem.

Cultivation Edit

In cultivation, most are treated as perennial plants in frost-free areas and as annual plants in colder climates, but some species tolerate winter cold. There are some species which are strictly annual (e.g. I. nil), producing many seeds, and some perennial species (e.g. I. indica) which are propagated by cuttings. Some moonflowers, which flower at night, are also in the morning glory family.

Because of their fast growth, twining habit, attractive flowers, and tolerance for poor, dry soils, some morning glories are excellent vines for creating summer shade on building walls when trellised, thus keeping the building cooler and reducing heating and cooling costs.

Popular varieties in contemporary western cultivation include 'Sunspots', 'Heavenly Blue', the moonflower, the cypress vine, and the cardinal climber. The cypress vine is a hybrid, with the cardinal climber as one parent.

Many morning glories will self-seed in the garden. They have a hard seed coat which delays germination until late spring, at which time they will grow and flower rapidly. To improve the germination of purchased seeds, soak them in a dish of warm water overnight before planting.
Last edited by beaker on Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimi hendrix
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

whats the story?

I rarely get morning glories nowadays and I have never eaten one

yeahhhh
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Wiki needs to be edited perhaps
In words of a single syllable presumably.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic