Siem Reap's Pub St businesses protest against nuisances.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Siem Reap's Pub St businesses protest against nuisances.

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Congested streets draw the ire of local Siem Reap businesses

Fri, 19 August 2016
Nicky Sullivan

In August 2, the owners of more than 40 bars and restaurants in and around Siem Reap’s central Pub Street filed a petition with the governor’s office asking that the authorities deal with problems of excess congestion, noise, street vendors, beggars and street children who take drugs.

Other than an acknowledgement that their petition was received, though, they have heard nothing since.

The petition reflects years of rising frustration among business owners as the streets around Pub Street have become increasingly crowded with tuk-tuks parked across the main thoroughfare along Street 11 making it virtually inaccessible except on foot. A dozen juice and food-vending carts have worsened the situation, they said.

The petition, which cited negative reviews on TripAdvisor in its support, was spearheaded by Serge Billot, the owner of the Angkor W restaurant group, and Alex Sutherland, owner of Angkor What? Bar and The Sun. They were joined by the owners of more than 20 other restaurants, including representatives of Temple Club, and other long-established businesses such as Blue Pumpkin, le Tigre de papier and Viva.

“We hope to see a safe and nice street without messy parking, no food and drinks on the road, some arrangement for the beggars who harass tourists for money, and also the street children with drugs,” said Choun Sreykhim, human resources officer for Angkor W...
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-weeke ... businesses
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Siem Reap's Pub St businesses protest against nuisances.

Post by General Mackevili »

The irony.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Bars complain of problems on Pub Street
Fri, 16 December 2016

A meeting held this week sought to allay business owners’ concerns that street carts, beggars and drugs are bringing down business on Siem Reap’s bustling tourist strip

At a quarterly Siem Reap tourism meeting hosted on Monday this week, Siem Reap Governor Kim Bun Song pledged that action would be taken to address problems on Pub Street, including police taking bribes from those seeking to avoid the law.

In August, more than 20 business owners on and around Pub Street filed a petition to the governor, citing congestion, noise, street vendors, beggars and street children who take drugs as disruptive for business. Four months later, they say the situation is getting worse.

This week, several owners and managers – who prefer to remain anonymous – laid the blame squarely with the police who, they say, instead of keeping the area clear of disturbances, are taking bribes from those responsible.

The main targets of ire are the drink carts lining Street 8, which sell alcohol to the soundtrack of ear-splitting music.

“They are driving our business down by offering cheaper products since they pay no rent, tax or wages. Even worse, they sell right in front of us, on our entrance,” one general manager wrote in an email to Post Weekend.

“They are profiting from the success that we have created and are slowly destroying it,” said another. “Business is down two years in a row, which hasn’t happened since the bank crisis in 2008.

”According to business establishments, the cart vendors are allegedly paying between $30 and $100 per month to the police in order to avoid being removed from the area.

Business owners also cite concerns about the levels of criminality in the area, including drugs being offered for sale, prostitution, tourist scammers and noise levels...

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-weeke ... pub-street
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Authorities Tighten Order on Pub Street
04/07/2017 11:42
Phnom Penh (FN), July 4 – Siem Reap provincial authorities have released guidelines pertaining to traffic, security, and order on Pub Street, one of Siem Reap's top tourist hot spots.

According to the guidelines, restaurant owners and drivers have been illegally utilizing public space to meet their own needs.

The violations include, but are not limited to the use of sidewalks for car parks, driving against the follow of traffic, and reckless driving.

There have also been instances of jury-rigged and improperly installed electrical lines, which have severely disrupted public order, caused fires, and take away from the charm of the town in general.
=FRESH NEWS

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:09 pm Authorities Tighten Order on Pub Street
04/07/2017 11:42
Phnom Penh (FN), July 4 – Siem Reap provincial authorities have released guidelines pertaining to traffic, security, and order on Pub Street, one of Siem Reap's top tourist hot spots.

According to the guidelines, restaurant owners and drivers have been illegally utilizing public space to meet their own needs.

The violations include, but are not limited to the use of sidewalks for car parks, driving against the follow of traffic, and reckless driving.

There have also been instances of jury-rigged and improperly installed electrical lines, which have severely disrupted public order, caused fires, and take away from the charm of the town in general.
=FRESH NEWS

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"The petition, which cited negative reviews on TripAdvisor in its support,''

Yeah make SR safe and sterile for TA matrons who expect to find a 3rd world country just like the developed one the one they left.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:09 pm the use of sidewalks for car parks
? Since when was this not allowed? I thought it was mandatory.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Well tbh, Pub Street was horrible last time I was there (January). I had last been there several years prior, but the growth of dozens of lined up carts selling booze and blasting music at 300 decibels really ruined the vibe of the whole place for me. I figure anything they do about it is good.

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:54 pm Well tbh, Pub Street was horrible last time I was there (January). I had last been there several years prior, but the growth of dozens of lined up carts selling booze and blasting music at 300 decibels really ruined the vibe of the whole place for me. I figure anything they do about it is good.

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk
Street carts like these. you mean ? Pub St, Siem Reap, 30 June 2017:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I think it is awful compared to ten years ago but this is what mass tourism does. However many businesses are regulated nowadays and pay tax. They should not be disadvantaged by those in the black economy who just pay the cops.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic