American Robert Draper Dies in Cambodia of a Stroke After Racking Up a $3,000 Medical at Calmette Hospital

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

American Robert Draper Dies in Cambodia of a Stroke After Racking Up a $3,000 Medical at Calmette Hospital

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

An African American man from California, Robert Draper (Bob Draper, Robbie Draper, or Bob Draper to some) has died in Phnom Penh's Calmette Hospital, after being refused treatment by International SOS Medical and Dental Clinic.

Bob Draper had been living in Cambodia for 6 years and suffered a few strokes during that time.

About 2 months ago he had a bad stroke and had to be hospitalized. His sister in California, Valerie Draper, got in touch with the U.S. embassy, and they suggested she get him admitted to SOS, but when he showed up they refused to take him because he didn't have insurance, also saying they don't treat stroke victims.

She gets him admitted to Calmette Hospital, for a few of $200, and says this on GoFundMe, "Robbie has been admitted to Calamette Hospital. The initial cost is $200. Whatever funds come in will be set up in a trust through the US Embassy to make sure all funds are comtributed to his care."

That was about 2 months ago.

Things were getting worse for Robert Draper.

His sister posted the following picture of him in Calmette Hospital, clearly not doing good and racking up a $3,000 bill.

The last communication his sister had with him was on FaceTime, and through blinking his eyes for 'yes' or 'no' he told her he wanted to come home to California.

Unfortunately he died on May 9, 2016.

Here is her last update:

"Update: Robert (Bob) Draper passed away May 9th in Cambodia. He took a part of me with him. Our last conversation was via FaceTime. He could not see, speak, swallow or move. I am thankful he could hear and I had the opportunity to express my love to him. Through his blinking yes and no to my questions, he made it known he wanted to come home
..back to the states.

I have made the decision to have him cremated, and his ashes sent to me. I wish he had prepared for a time such as this, but he did not. The cost of the cremation and the delivery of his ashes will cost $4,000.00. I ask that everyone reading this to please, PLEASE donate anything you can. Even a dollar helps. I need to bring my brother home! He is me, and I am him. Please...I am begging you! HELP ME BRING MY BROTHER HOME!!!!!
"

His sister has turned the GoFundMe donation page about trying to save his life into raising $4,000 to get his body returned home to the U.S.

According to his Facebook page, he lived in Poipet, Cambodia and was the owner of an online gambling website.

If you want to donate on GoFundMe to help get Robert Draper's body back to the US, here is the link:

Other recent stories of foreigners dying in Cambodia:
Austrian Tourist Andreas Paulic Dies From Drug Overdose in Sihanoukville
A French Man Found Death at Home Town Hotel in Phnom Penh
Canadian Expat Oscar Sanchez Dies of Natural Causes in Sihanoukville Bathroom
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: American Robert Draper Dies in Cambodia of a Stroke After Being Turned Away From SOS Hospital

Post by General Mackevili »

RIP

Having to ask other people to come up with $4000 to bring back his ashes? Ouch.
Spoiler:
Quick, somebody go tell Boomer and Prohacalipse they missed one for Scobie's death list! Image
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: American Robert Draper Dies in Cambodia of a Stroke After Being Turned Away From SOS Hospital

Post by frank lee bent »

I imagine there are very many like stories here every year.
Heart rending.
Flexnez
Expatriate
Norway

Post by Flexnez »

Expats still living in Cambodia without insurance? That's playing Russian roulette
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

The title is misleading.
I am no sos shareholder but the deceased apparently died days after going to sos since he had quite a hefty bill at calmette by the time he died. What does SOS has to do with his death at all ?
The sister seems to be holding them for responsible, did she expected them to do a free medivac to bangkok or the USA ?
I also agree with the corpse transport crowdfunding question, Wtf ? Just have someone carry the ashes or send them by ups.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

transporting human remains across borders is not so simple
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail ... uggested/1
you can't just post ashes off.
needs a formal entry with clearance.
can be costly if agents are used
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: American Robert Draper Dies in Cambodia of a Stroke After Being Turned Away From SOS Hospital

Barang_doa_slae wrote:The title is misleading.
I am no sos shareholder but the deceased apparently died days after going to sos since he had quite a hefty bill at calmette by the time he died. What does SOS has to do with his death at all ?
The sister seems to be holding them for responsible, did she expected them to do a free medivac to bangkok or the USA ?
I also agree with the corpse transport crowdfunding question, Wtf ? Just have someone carry the ashes or send them by ups.
Yeah, the timeframe is a bit confusing, as GoFundMe doesn't give exact dates.

It looks like she waited almost a week to announce that he passed away.

Just seems odd that US embassy would suggest a place that would turn him.

It's also not entirely clear if she ended up sending any money to pay towards the $3,000 bill he racked up at Calmette Hospital, but I'm guessing not.

Seems like she should pay the hospital that tried to save his life before she spends even more money to try and get his ashes sent back.

Either way, I'll change the title to something a little clearer.

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: American Robert Draper Dies in Cambodia of a Stroke After Racking Up a $3,000 Medical at Calmette Hospital

Post by Anchor Moy »

You can send the ashes by post. The sister could also come to Cambodia and pick them up herself for less than $4000. Or pay someone else to do it.
As regards the US, you just need a death certificate, but should not be a problem.
Also, if the remains have been cremated they may be admitted into the United States without restriction, regardless of the cause of death.
LTO
Expatriate

Re: American Robert Draper Dies in Cambodia of a Stroke After Racking Up a $3,000 Medical at Calmette Hospital

Post by LTO »

After they saved his life and put him back together (and tolerated his shit,) I still wonder how big of a bill Singlet Senior stuck Calmette for. Calmette takes a lot of guff from expats, yet seem to take care of people in emergency situations whether they have the money, or a little money, or no money. Not to blame SOS for not taking this guy in. SOS is a private clinic and you need money or insurance to go there, and it's your fault if you don't have it. Yet Calmette still does take these people in, and treats them, and should be commended for it.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: American Robert Draper Dies in Cambodia of a Stroke After Racking Up a $3,000 Medical at Calmette Hospital

LTO wrote:Yet Calmette still does take these people in, and treats them, and should be commended for it.
Very true.

Seems like it could just be a matter of time until Calmette also starts turning people away unless they have have their insurance card with them upon check-in.

I guess the whole thing kind of irks me that his sister appears to be trying to raise $4,000 dollars to get his ashes back, meanwhile leaving an unpaid $3,000 bill with the hospital that tried to save his life.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic