Cambodia's Impossible Dream: Koh Tral

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
JBTrain
Expatriate

Cambodia's Impossible Dream: Koh Tral

Post by JBTrain »

My article on Koh Tral appears in The Diplomat:

"The popular Khmer view of Koh Tral – as reflected in the Khmer blogosphere, in popular song, and on YouTube travelogues – is that the island which Vietnamese know as Phu Quoc is historically Khmer, that Cambodia has never relinquished its territorial claim, that Koh Tral was unfairly awarded the Vietnamese in 1954 over Cambodian protest, and that because the maritime border used a 1939 French colonial administrative line never intended to reflect sovereignty (the “Brevie Line”) international law should dictate the island’s return to Cambodia.

This view and the quest by leading Khmer politicians to secure Phu Quoc for Cambodia appears rooted in myth. It reflects a misunderstanding of the history of the island and the Khmer’s connection to it, an exaggeration of Khmer leaders’ continuing commitment to the cause of Koh Tral, and a lack of appreciation of the legal hurdles involved in wresting the territory from Vietnam in courts of international law...."

http://thediplomat.com/2014/06/cambodia ... -koh-tral/
Using Tapatalk
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: Cambodia's Impossible Dream: Koh Tral

Post by OrangeDragon »

Well done for getting published!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Good article. I'd be interested in seeing some rebuttals.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Good article. I'd be interested in seeing some rebuttals.
We missed you, specifically, at Quealy's tonight, BKL - more than a few people asked if you were around.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
JBTrain
Expatriate

Post by JBTrain »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Good article. I'd be interested in seeing some rebuttals.
I would too, from Bora Touch in particular.
Using Tapatalk
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Give an update if you ever get comments/rebuttals for the article. I'd be interested in following whatever discussion it leads to. Hopefully it doesn't go unnoticed (or fall on deaf ears).
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
JBTrain
Expatriate

Post by JBTrain »

There are some comments on the Diplomat site. In response Albeiro Rodas has posted on his blog another angle in the legal arguments

https://cambodia1.wordpress.com/2014/06/ ... -platform/

We've had some discussion on Twitter and I'm researching his position about which I'll make a full response.
Using Tapatalk
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

I'm having a bit of fun poking people with sticks on that diplomat article... lol.
JBTrain
Expatriate

Post by JBTrain »

My very cautious initial response to Albeiro's blog post is that there is precedent for excluding from the 12 mile limit that portion of the Cambodian "relevant coast" which if used would result in the territorial waters taking in an island owned by another nation, as that island carries its own territorial waters entitlements. The land comes first in Land of the Sea determinations and the ICJ would not consider issues related to territorial sea or continental shelf without first determining sovereignty of the island based upon other considerations (Qatar. V Bahrain is relevant here*) , and here I believe Vietnam would prevail.

*ICJ before establishing territorial waters established Qatar sovereignty over island originally occupied by Bahrain and only 3 miles from Bahrain's coast based upon Qatar’s long term occupation.
Using Tapatalk
JBTrain
Expatriate

Post by JBTrain »

A lively if often infantile debate going on on the Diplomat site

http://thediplomat.com/2014/06/cambodia ... -koh-tral/

as well as Khmerization

http://khmerization.blogspot.com/2014/0 ... amese.html
Using Tapatalk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic