Cambodia Profile

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
VLayHo-ho-ho
Expatriate
Philippines

Cambodia Profile

Post by VLayHo-ho-ho »

Using the BBC News Cambodia Section, here is the url: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-pacific-13006539

"Cambodia is benefiting from two decades of relative stability, having endured civil war and the murderous rule of the Khmer Rouge.

As it attempts to end its dependence on foreign aid, the country's economic potential and natural resources are drawing foreign investment - especially from China and neighbouring Vietnam.

Garment-making is the biggest industry, employing around half a million people and accounting for 80% of exports. Tourism is expanding, and Cambodia hopes to tap into offshore oil and gas reserves.

However, corruption is deep-rooted and Cambodia is still one of the world's poorest countries, with around one third of people living on less than one dollar per day.

Most of the workforce is employed in subsistence farming. The Mekong River provides fertile, irrigated fields for rice production. The government in 2012 approved the controversial Sesan 2 dam project to boost hydroelectric power on the river.

Of late, land concessions and forced evictions have sparked social unrest. Many thousands of people have been displaced as the government has granted land to companies who are keen to exploit resources such as rubber, sugar and minerals. Confrontations between locals and the authorities are commonplace.

Meanwhile, years of widespread illegal logging have led to a rapid decline in Cambodia's forest cover. International watchdog Global Witness says top officials are involved in the trade.

The powerful Khmer Empire once included parts of present-day Thailand, Laos and Vietnam. The imposing temple complex at Angkor, built between the ninth and 13th centuries by Khmer kings, is a UN heritage site and a big draw for visitors.

Legacy of conflict
The fate of Cambodia shocked the world when the radical communist Khmer Rouge under their leader Pol Pot seized power in 1975 after years of guerrilla warfare. In pursuit of a rural utopia, the Khmer Rouge abolished money and private property and ordered city dwellers into the countryside to cultivate the fields.

Up to two million people died during the next four years, many from exhaustion or starvation. Others were tortured and executed.

A UN-backed tribunal aims to bring those responsible for the "killing fields" to justice. So far, only one senior Khmer Rouge figure - former prison head Kaing Guek Eav, or Comrade Duch - has been convicted.

Unexploded landmines from Cambodia's civil war, in which Vietnamese fighters and US forces were also embroiled, continue to kill and maim civilians, despite an ongoing de-mining drive.

More recently, tensions along a disputed stretch of the Cambodian-Thai border have stoked skirmishes between the two countries' militaries."
There was no sarcasm or malice intended during the making of this post.
VLayHo-ho-ho
Expatriate
Philippines

Re: Cambodia Profile

Post by VLayHo-ho-ho »

"As it attempts to end its dependence on foreign aid, the country's economic potential...China and neighbouring Vietnam."

Who the f**k have they been talking to?

There are investors here from Malaysia, Singapore, Japan, India, America.

They require handouts from the likes of JICA, KOOKI, PSI. There are no signs of stopping or even slowing down the aid that is costing this government.....NOTHING.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

VLayHo-ho-ho wrote:There are investors here from Malaysia, Singapore, Japan, India, America.
You forgot South Korea, the biggest single investor, iirc.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
picooie
Expatriate

Post by picooie »

Maybe I am dim but what is your point or is this a cut and paste job.
picooie
VLayHo-ho-ho
Expatriate
Philippines

Post by VLayHo-ho-ho »

Picooie:

I found a whole section about Cambodia on the BBC News Website, and I thought I would paste the first article, and leave the url if anyone was interested in knowing more about the country.
I commented on the first paragraph as I thought it was unfounded, nigh on ridiculous for them to portray that Cambodia was close to being independent in terms of aid.

Vlad: Kooki is the Korean Cooperation organization just like Jica is the Japanese version. But yes. I did not mention them. Nor the amount of money Russia has pumped in, then there's Sweden, Switzerland, Australia...#don't stop me now...i'm having such a good time...i'm having a ball#
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic