American MICHAEL BERG (AmCham Board Member) Caught on Video Allegedly Trying to Bribe Police in Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

American MICHAEL BERG (AmCham Board Member) Caught on Video Allegedly Trying to Bribe Police in Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

A woman posted a video appearing to show the owner of The Cove in Phnom Penh (and ex-owner of Khmer440) Michael Berg attempting to bribe police with the ol' money-handshake routine.

The woman alleges that she was verbally abused by the owners of The Cove before she called the police, because they were falsely claiming her vaccine card was not genuine and were trying to force her to pay for her food that she now didn't want to pay for after all of this.

She says she was filming the incident when Michael Berg tried to secretly pass off some money to the police by palming it, and the police refused to accept what appears to be cash.

"I was verbally abused by the manager and two co owners. I was not asked to show my vaccine paperwork until I sat down and ordered my food. Once my food arrived I was verbally abused by the manager who falsely accused me of being unvaccinated, though his staff never asked me or my companion for any proof of vaccination when I entered or before allowing me to order food and have a drink. The manager and the owners were not wearing masks and shouting in my face. If they are so concerned about covid and following the regulations, it's strange to not wear a mask. One rule for them and another for the customers. I agreed to show my vaccine paper but that I would choose to leave afterwards and without paying the bill because the manager was abusive. One of the owners then accused me of having fake vaccine papers and loudly announced it to the entire bar that my name was not on the paper. Once outside I was then threatened by the owners. I was told that "twenty people would come to beat me" for being unvaccinated and I would be sorry. I called the police. The police verified my papers. Absolutely disgusting experience for the sake of some fish tacos."

On Michael Berg's LinkedIn page he says he's currently the Business Development Manager for RMA Group Company Limited, but doesn't list being an owner of The Cove.

Michael Berg is also on the board of governors for AmCham Cambodia (The American Chamber of Commerce in Cambodia), where he's listed as General Manager for Jaguar Land Rover.

Presumably, AmCham Cambodia doesn't approve of their board members trying to bribe Cambodian police officers after someone calls the police on them; as of right now he's still a member. He was elected to be on the board for a term of two years, and governors on the board are eligible for reelection after their 2 years is finished.

Here is the bio they give him:

Michael Berg joined RMA Cambodia as the General Manager for the Special Products Division in May 2017, where he was responsible for a number of subdivisions and brands, as well as incubating new products. He was in charge of the Material & Handling Division (with JLG aerial/boom lifts from the U.S., TCM Forklifts from Japan, and MS Pallets and Starke racking from Malaysia); Cleaning Equipment (Powerboss and Minuteman from the U.S. and Hako from Germany); and Electrical Testing Equipment (Megger Group from Germany and the U.S.). In December of 2019 he was promoted to Business Development Manager for RMA Cambodia. Mr. Berg has extensive experience in supporting senior leaders in business and the U.S. government while managing several projects, including supporting the Missile Defense Agency (MDA)’s Asia/Pacific International Affairs Division and the multibillion dollar SM-3 development project. Notably, he received various awards such as MDA Contractor of the Year Nominee; MDA Policy Planning Team Award; and DAU Corporate Recognition Award...'

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
sanjuro
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: American MICHAEL BERG (Owner of The Cove) Caught on Video Allegedly Trying to Bribe Police in Cambodia

Post by sanjuro »

Absolutely everyone on both ends of the camera/media here needs the shiT kicked out of them, and not by anyone in particular.
I came to Cambodia to get away from this shit, and full on shrill/ douchey /poseur western crap from Thailand has thoroughly spilled over as represented in this smug assed tattle tail presentation.

(edited only to add the word poseur)
Last edited by sanjuro on Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: American MICHAEL BERG (Owner of The Cove) Caught on Video Allegedly Trying to Bribe Police in Cambodia

Post by GMJS-CEO »

What’s the punishment for the bribe? A bigger bribe?
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Trying to palm dough to a cop two feet in front the complainant while she videos...hand open toward the camera, no less. *giggle*
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

When men have a problem they fight
When women have a problem they go in for character destruction & malicious gossip

I think she went out of her way looking for trouble tbh,

In the video there's a couple of posts near the beginning where she says they dislike each other or he dislikes her for her views.
I think she went there looking for a confrontation.
The above would fit with the main ways a woman would go about settling a "score". Create a scene, play the unfortunate victim and get a rise out of him on camera. Oh, and she called him a "little white privilege man" which, to me, says a lot about her mindset. There's a lot of things she could have called him, and she chose that specific pejorative.
Last edited by IraHayes on Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Never a good idea to come to any firm conclusions based on a video that was taken by the complainant who not only had full editorial control over it before it was posted but also had full control over the narrative at the time of posting.

I'm not saying I believe or disbelieve her, but I refuse to come to any conclusion based on such one sided evidence. I get that the guy tried to pay off the cop, but that doesn't mean anything. He had a business to protect, from, for all we know, some crazed woman who had a completely unconnected grudge against him.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

The caption of this video should be, " The day two fools met. "
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

i was actually eating pizza across the street when this went down, and i think this thread title is misleading - it should read “guest gets agressive with owner”. from what i saw the guest (ashley galler it appears by her post) was yelling threats. her cambodian bf was yelling physical threats at the owner (at one point saying “you’re white so you’re wrong”), and literally called the police there. the owners were firm in their defense but remained calm, even apologizing to us for the scene. the police left quickly, the crazy girl and her bf left after still yelling threats. even in the videos you hear the owner apologizing profusely where the crazy girl says things like “i know more people than you” and “i’m going to post this on FB” and “i’m a woman”.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
sanjuro
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by sanjuro »

^
well then her boyfriend should beat her.

fk sake "social justice comes to cambodia". should make a fkng coloring book.
Pedrazo
Expatriate

Post by Pedrazo »

Isn't she white? I can't follow who is the oppressor or the oppressed here. If anyone in the story is gay or transgender or non-binary, they can get extra victim points for that too.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic