Chinese Woman Driver Kills Pedestrian and Slams into 4 Other Vehicles

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Chinese Woman Driver Kills Pedestrian and Slams into 4 Other Vehicles

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): At 10:45 am on September 19, 2021, on Preah Monivong Blv., in Khan Chamkar Mon, nearby the new Ministry of Rural Development, an unidentified Chinese female driver of a Range Rover (Phnom Penh 2AL-2013)lost control of her vehicle; she ran over and killed a pedestrian, then crashed into 4 other cars.
The victim died from severe head injuries, and the other drivers suffered some minor injuries. The four vehicles, a Mazda (PNH 2BM-8919), 2 Toyota Prius (PNH 2AZ-7582 & PNH 2AZ-6062), and a Toyota Lexus RX300 (PNH-2BD-1610), were also badly damaged in the accident.

The traffic police came to clear the traffic jam, and they detained the young woman driver, and towed away all the vehicles for further investigation. The victim who died was examined and given to the family for the funeral.
ImageImage
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Chinese Woman Driver Kills Pedestrian and Slams into 4 Other Vehicles

Post by John Bingham »

In another report it said she whacked into 4 four parked cars and then tried to do a hard reverse and ran over the pedestrian. who knows?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

UPDATE: The Chinese woman was taken for questioning to Phnom Penh court today.
It appears that the woman drove into a row of cars that were parked on the pavement. It is not clear exactly, but it does appear likely that the pedestrian was walking on the road when they were hit by the woman's Range Rover. (Mainly because there is little room to walk on the pavement due to the parked cars.)
Photos at the accident scene:
Spoiler:
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Driving while texting I suspect, you never know when your time's up , that poor woman and her family RIP
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
duran
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by duran »

A mandatory custodial sentence and a painfully substantial compensation for the family of the deceased should be imposed for this senseless loss of life. Ideally, a retributive and deterrent form of punishment.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

UPDATE
Cambodia News, (Phnom Penh): Mr. Plang Sophal, Deputy Prosecutor and Spokesman of the Phnom Penh Municipal Court, confirmed that the prosecutor's office have opened an investigation into the case of an accident caused by a 32-year-old Chinese woman driver named HI ZHE NG JING, staying at Prince Prince Condo on Norodom Blvd., Sangkat Tonle Bassac, Khan Chamkarmon, Phnom Penh. She was charged with "negligent driving resulting in the death of another person under Article 85 of the Road Traffic Law."

It should be reminded that at 10:40am on September 19, 2021, in front of the Ministry of Rural Development, Preah Monivong Street, Sangkat Boeung Trabek, Khan Chamkar Mon, Phnom Penh, this woman was driving a white RANGE ROVER (with license plate. Phnom Penh No. 2AL-2013), along Monivong Blvd., direction from north to south at high speed, when she oversteered and hit a pedestrian, causing sudden death at the scene. The car then went on to hit four cars parked on the side of the road, causing further damage.

After the incident, the local police arrived at the scene, and they detained the Chinese female driver. As for the fatal accident victim, the authorities will make a record and they are presently looking for relatives to accept it for the traditional ceremony.

The accused woman is currently being held in pretrial detention.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

atst wrote:Driving while texting I suspect, you never know when your time's up , that poor woman and her family RIP
Yeah, stuff like that scares me. You never know when you'll be rear-ended, t-boned or whatever. Many, many accidents ate preventable on the receiving end, but things like this aren't. I was sitting eating at a restaurant in the evening around two weeks ago by a market and the amount of people texting while driving (both cars and motos) was pretty staggering. No wonder these it illegal in the West.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Whatsupdoc
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Whatsupdoc »

In the last 2 years or so we've seen many reports of deadly accidents, in a lot of cases caused by Chinese.
Question, do all these Chinese drivers have a valid Cambodian driving license ? Regularly I see questions being asked on FB by Westerners about renewing their license, or how to get on. Or do these Chinese just "buy" a drivers' license ?
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king - Erasmus
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Whatsupdoc wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:49 pm Or do these Chinese just "buy" a drivers' license ?
Sure

Everyone does, to some degree, bar a few outliers
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Whatsupdoc wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:49 pm In the last 2 years or so we've seen many reports of deadly accidents, in a lot of cases caused by Chinese.
Question, do all these Chinese drivers have a valid Cambodian driving license ? Regularly I see questions being asked on FB by Westerners about renewing their license, or how to get on. Or do these Chinese just "buy" a drivers' license ?
Whenever I go for my renewal there has always been a bunch of Chinese, often with translators, so some do evidently. Do Chinese licences have high standard tho? And those that go for the driving test here are probably smoothing things over.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic