FOR THOSE WHO THINK THAT...

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

FOR THOSE WHO THINK THAT...

Post by taabarang »

The Cambodian govt. isn't really serious about the work permits or that it is aimed only at Vietnamese, please read the following. For those of you who haven't been long in Cambodia on a work visa(i.e. special visa) it won't be that big of a financial bite. But for those of us who have started a family here and have roots in a small community it will be, plus for me it will be emotionally traumatic if to spare my family the meager savings we have, I will have to leave. This is not alarmist; it is real. We, the foreigners, have until March to walk into the lion's den and get shaken down. So go to:
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/w ... se-mystify

Good luck to us all.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: FOR THOSE WHO THINK THAT...

Post by phuketrichard »

did u all really think the easy visas would last forever?
their merely following Thailand as they do for many things.

Retirement extension coming soon for sure
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Is this article a piss-take? It sounds like something you would read in The Onion.
Procuring the health certificate requires a group physical exam, which takes place assembly-style in big, white rooms, according to interviews. Men and women in white lab coats shuffle applicants to an oversized, rusted scale, then to measuring tape and onwards to a blood-pressure station.
A woman said under “eye colour”, the examiner wrote “none”.

“They added three inches to my height as the guy with the measuring tape suffered from some ‘parallax error’,” said a British national who wished to remain anonymous.

Tong, director of the department, said, “Mainly, we check for syphilis.”
:lol:
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Ppl in SV who work online have been told by local MOL staff, that they do not need a permit. Same for retirees.

is it correct though?

who knows.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Phuketrichard said[quote]
did u all really think the easy visas would last forever?
their merely following Thailand as they do for many things.

Retirement extension coming soon for sure[/quote

First, there is no guarantee that a retirement visa will be no less financially usurping than the laws they passed governing older male expats(over 40-if I remember correctly) and the ridiculous amount of income the foreign men were supposed to have. I will find no solace in such a provision until it is passed. Secondly, whatever happens in Sihanoukville or any other place has no Relevance in any other province. All of the provinces are run like tiny fiefdoms; there is no uniformity in the application of law. That is part of the way HE placates the lesser powers.

And as for the point about "easy visas"I never found them anything other than reasonable, not easy.But my main quarrel is that when I worker(I have been retired for some years now) I was NEVER
informed about the necessity of a work permit. Hence my anger is about the retroactive nature of the
work permits. I only want a fair ride not a free one. If those of you who are single cannot appreciate the shared dilemma we older and married expats have, so be it. But if you think you have any future here you are deluding yourselves.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

I am going to try and get one regardless.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Won't bother me in the slightest.

I have worked here for 8 years, have a family here and my roots are firmly planted in the ground.

I have had a work permit since day 1, it has always been the rules and they are just starting to enforce them. The rules haven't changed.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Frank please specify. You are going to try to get one what? Work permit or
retirement visa?
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Well KiwiinC I'm happy someone told you, but I was never told-not even by ACE. I don't question that it was the rule, albeit unenforced, but it was never brought to my attention either by newspaper or school administrators.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

More importantly why was I not told each time I applied for a visa extension at Lucky Lucky?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic