10 Arrested from Sihanoukville Wildlife and Fisheries NGO

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

10 Arrested from Sihanoukville Wildlife and Fisheries NGO

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News, Sihanoukville: Ten officials working for the NGO Cambodian Fisheries and Wildlife Protection Organization have been arrested for questioning, following allegations of extortion.
On 20 February 2020, villagers from Smach Deng, Ream Commune, Prey Nop District, Preah Sihanouk Province, went to military police and complained of threats and extortion by men in an official vehicle and wearing the NGO uniform.
Extortion in these cases usually means that sums of money are demanded in return for turning a blind eye to illegal practices by villagers, such as forest clearing or hunting and fishing.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: 10 Arrested from Sihanoukville Wildlife and Fisheries NGO

Post by Mishmash »

Bandits...

Putin approves.

SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Funny, you would have sworn blind they were Forestry and Fisheries officials, wouldn't you? or from the Min of Environment,
In fact, if you had not been told differently, you would swear that on your mothers grave, wouldn't you?

You just don't see that kind of rounded-style stomachs on authentic environmental NGO people.
You just don't.
Nor the attitude, nor that particular cut and colour of the uniform. hmm..

If you stretched me on rack and gave me a thousand lashes with a barbed wire whip then stuck a red hot poker up my bum - i would have still sworn blind that they were all local officials of FFI.
... if you hadn't have told me different.
:mrgreen:
What machinations are behind stories like this i always wonder.
Officials getting busted - there is always a back story.

-Wrong party? wrong faction?
-Takeover by a new head bloke from Phnom Penh, so new 'arrangements'?
-This giant new foreign $$$$ tourist precinct - S'ville/Ream/Prey Nop, - getting rid of a few pests who thought they had the local power? (my best bet for this one)
But you never really know - because there is always a back-story behind the back story too.

And the front story ^^^ is often the most ludicrous thing you ever heard in your life,
until you came to Cambodia..
:D
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:36 pm Funny, you would have sworn blind they were Forestry and Fisheries officials, wouldn't you? or from the Min of Environment,
In fact, if you had not been told differently, you would swear that on your mothers grave, wouldn't you?

You just don't see that kind of rounded-style stomachs on authentic environmental NGO people.
You just don't.
Nor the attitude, nor that particular cut and colour of the uniform. hmm..

If you stretched me on rack and gave me a thousand lashes with a barbed wire whip then stuck a red hot poker up my bum - i would have still sworn blind that they were all local officials of FFI.
... if you hadn't have told me different.
:mrgreen:
What machinations are behind stories like this i always wonder.
Officials getting busted - there is always a back story.

-Wrong party? wrong faction?
-Takeover by a new head bloke from Phnom Penh, so new 'arrangements'?
-This giant new foreign $$$$ tourist precinct - S'ville/Ream/Prey Nop, - getting rid of a few pests who thought they had the local power? (my best bet for this one)
But you never really know - because there is always a back-story behind the back story too.

And the front story ^^^ is often the most ludicrous thing you ever heard in your life,
until you came to Cambodia..
:D
Can't find any trace of the alleged 'NGO' - perhaps I am mistaken.

They do look like MAFF. They even have official government style name plates.

Fishing is a dangerous game apparently.

This time the villagers won - result!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic