Female Tourist Injured in Angkor Wat By...

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Female Tourist Injured in Angkor Wat By...

Post by Samouth »

A female tourist injured by the falling of Angkor Wat's window column

Siem Reap: Angkor Wat's window column fell on a female toruist while she was wandering around Angkor Wat and enjured her on 11 Jan 2015.

According to the wintnesses who were at the scence said, " While she was walking and looking at the sculptures on the temple, the window column fell on her feet and slightly injured her. Then the Apsara authorities and Tour guides came and applied some medicine on her wound.

Apsara authority is requesting all the tourists to be pay more attention and be careful when visiting Angkor Wat and other temples as the same incident can be happend any time.

source: http://www.dap-news.com/2011-06-14-02-3 ... 23-43.html

បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: A female tourist injured by........

Post by Anchor Moy »

It's true that a lot of the stonework is in bad state when you get off the beaten track. A lot of it could fall at any time. Lucky it wasn't worse really.
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

Soumy Phan wrote:...Apsara authority is requesting all the tourists to be pay more attention and be careful when visiting Angkor Wat and other temples as the same incident can be happend any time...
Typical.

Always the foreigner's fault. Always, regardless of the circumstances.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I think you're over-analyzing the statement a bit. Seems more like a public safety statement warning people to tread carefully around the ruins as many if not most of the temples have various degrees of structural issues. Had they said it was her fault it fell, then that would be a bit rich...
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

The ceiling debris grids are a warning, some of the areas i walked into didn't have them & looked dodgy.
I'm surprised the wooden stairs haven't collapsed or some fatty hasn't bowled down on the way out.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Female Tourist Injured in Angkor Wat By...

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Updated the OP with these pictures:

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Provided medical assistance/"applied some medicine to her wound"=gave her a bottle of water. The woman seems scared more than anything. Now she'll be freaked out no matter where she's goes, haha. Stuff like that makes you paranoid.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

The company/person that collects the money for Angkor Wat makes tens, if not hundreds of millions of dollars a year and puts almost nothing back in the site. You have a world heritage site with scummy/dodgy restaurants and toilets right next to it and second rate/dirt/gravel parking for bus's, tuk-tuks, etc. The stairways,woodwork is dangerous, roads are narrow or none existent, or dirt. A lot of the sites have had nothing done to them. Except to suck money from tourists, the site is a disgrace.

After visiting Angkor Wat we went to Singapore and looked all the old British military sites. Most all were restored and clean. The work and restorations were first class. All looked as if the troops had just left and all equipment/cannons/etc were in top shape. The parks in Singapore look like what a world heritage site should look like, not some second rate, no infrastructure tourist trap. Shame! Shame! On the corrupt company/person running a World Heritage site for their own selfish profit. (I hear that there is a Vietnamese connection, Why am I not surprised.)
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

I personally have a strong feeling a lot of people would bitch if Angkor suddenly looked all clean and proper. When I visited the Cham sites in Vietnam I couldn't help but feel they had over-restored them. Some were 90% new bricks and it looked as if one was looking at reproductions. It's a tricky situation in which its impossible to please everyone. Some will claim that authenticity is lost if a ton of steel and wooden frames and scaffolding is put in place. Others will say the place looks like a dump. But fair enough, proper bathrooms would be good. I can't recall what the place looks like as I've only ever been once. It's likely changed drastically since then even though it wasn't that long ago relatively-speaking.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic