Lucky Mall's luck runs out

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Lucky Mall's luck runs out

Post by hdgh29 »

So Lucky Mall in Siem Reap has finally closed for good- supermarket, shops and stalls. It had struggled to compete with Angkor Market which was a better design and had more variety and cheaper prices, and the death knell was sounded a year or so ago when Lucky Supermarket stopped showing prices in USD and only displayed KHR on all its goods. Many expats complained but no-one listened, and the end result proves that in retail you have to be there for the customer, not the upper management.
Despite the name, Lucky Mall was not very lucky after all. With Angkor market dominating the local grocery and homewares scene, it will be a brave retailer that goes into that site. But like with failing bars and restaurants, there is a sucker born every minute.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Re: Lucky Mall's luck runs out

Post by siliconlife »

Meanwhile, Lucky has just opened a new branch in Kampot. Seems to be doing alright.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

siliconlife wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:31 pm Meanwhile, Lucky has just opened a new branch in Kampot. Seems to be doing alright.
Doesn't really seem to bring anything that's new or cheaper than it's competitors imo - however it is a damn sight better than the shop it replaced at the same location
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Lucky has always been shit. They were the first modern supermarket so had that advantage. Their first shop I was at was on Sihanouk and was just a double wide about the size of Thai Huot on Monivong or smaller. They have dozens of outlets now including Lucky Express stores. Prices have always been extortionate and you could never find the price of most things easily.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

hdgh29 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:14 pm So Lucky Mall in Siem Reap has finally closed for good- supermarket, shops and stalls. It had struggled to compete with Angkor Market which was a better design and had more variety and cheaper prices, and the death knell was sounded a year or so ago when Lucky Supermarket stopped showing prices in USD and only displayed KHR on all its goods. Many expats complained but no-one listened, and the end result proves that in retail you have to be there for the customer, not the upper management.
Despite the name, Lucky Mall was not very lucky after all. With Angkor market dominating the local grocery and homewares scene, it will be a brave retailer that goes into that site. But like with failing bars and restaurants, there is a sucker born every minute.
Went there two days ago around 12pm on Friday, a chief shopping hour: Literally no one was there, and Lucky Burger was completely empty. I got a medium french fries, and my ticket alerted me I was only the 2nd customer of the day.

Hopefully all the employees will readily find new jobs!
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Business Economics dictates that businesses either thrive or change or go out of business.

But in Cambodia, this hits the wall of pride and tradition.

Stuff doesn’t sell, customer service non-existent, condo no one buys because of exorbitant prices, and the answer?

Raise prices even higher and provide even worse service.

Unfortunately Lucky isn’t likely to improve unless the Okhna owning it goes broke or their kids break the wall of nepotism (of which they benefit from) and reform the company.

JB will say I look down on Cambodia by saying this.

There are plenty of talented and hardworking Khmer out there. They need a chance to rise to the top.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:29 pm
JB will say I look down on Cambodia by saying this.
Why would I say that? I've made it pretty clear over the years how crap I always thought Lucky was.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

I go to Lucky Express because it's the closest supermarket to my house. I can't see any reason anyone would go out of their way to visit it over the competitors. Even the full size ones don't have rotisserie chicken anymore, which was a strong USP (unique selling point).
Scarier than malaria.
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

Lucky on Sihanouk still have rotisserie chickens. They can be a bit underdone in parts. The attached mall looks like a disaster.

There's a Mini Big C or whatever they call it in Kampot. Best place to buy wine.

Pricing in Riel and labelling in Khmer is inconsistent across the Lucky stores. Former Kiwi is the biggest offender. Since its sale wrong pricing has crept in and is difficult to spot as receipts often only contain product codes. Super Duper continues to bill in English and Dollars.

There are too many supermarkets, and as might be expected here competition is driving the prices up. They feel the need to hike their prices as sales volumes drop. Thai Huot stores are frequently empty. Bayon still does ok with Chinese support.

And then there are the multiple independents around BKK and TTP, often Chinese, shelves gathering dust.
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

Stravaiger wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:43 am Lucky on Sihanouk still have rotisserie chickens. They can be a bit underdone in parts. The attached mall looks like a disaster.

There's a Mini Big C or whatever they call it in Kampot. Best place to buy wine.

Pricing in Riel and labelling in Khmer is inconsistent across the Lucky stores. Former Kiwi is the biggest offender. Since its sale wrong pricing has crept in and is difficult to spot as receipts often only contain product codes. Super Duper continues to bill in English and Dollars.

There are too many supermarkets, and as might be expected here competition is driving the prices up. They feel the need to hike their prices as sales volumes drop. Thai Huot stores are frequently empty. Bayon still does ok with Chinese support.

And then there are the multiple independents around BKK and TTP, often Chinese, shelves gathering dust.
On a semi-related note, CP Fresh just opened a new supermarket on 7 Makara in Siem Reap that never seems to have any customers in it, and where everything is at least 10-15% higher than AAA Market down the road on St. Lok Tanuey. I have no idea who the expected clientele is supposed to be, as it's positioned away from the general tourist crowd, in a relatively middle-class area already saturated with shopping options (including Damnak Market and Angkor Mini Mart down the street), and doesn't seem to have any real strategy to draw customers in as, to reiterate, it's far more expensive than comparable options (i.e prices are similar to Makro for basic necessities)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic