Officials Bust Wildlife Sellers at Stung Treng Market

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Officials Bust Wildlife Sellers at Stung Treng Market

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia Breaking News(Stung Treng): According to preliminary reports, Stung Treng Forestry Administration officials cracked down on sales offenses in Stung Treng Market today, on September 3, 2019, where they seized 33 kg of illegal wild meat and protected species from vendors.
More details to follow.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Officials Bust Wildlife Sellers at Stung Treng Market

In a similar raid at Banlung market on Monday, authorities discovered and seized 72kg of illegal wild meat.

Raid uncovers Ratanakkiri bushmeat
02 September 2019 | 23:20 ICT
A raid of Banlung Market in Banlung town, in Ratanakkiri province, uncovered 72kg of illegal bushmeat belonging to wild pigs, red muntjacs and monitor lizards, the local forestry administration and Military Police said.

Local Military Police commander Vannara Hai told The Post that the market would regularly receive shipments of red muntjac, sambar, wild pig, turtle, monitor lizard and exotic birds every two or three weeks to be sold.

“Military Police decided to burn the seized meat that evening and are searching for the wildlife meat traders in a continued effort to eliminate consumption of such meat.

“The wild meat vendors at the market usually sell early in the morning and late evening, they’re not a part of the traders who sell regularly at the market at all,” said Hai.

The trapping and sale of wild animal meat is prohibited under Article 41 of the Kingdom’s Protected Areas Law.

Heang Yort, a resident of Teas Anlong village in Ratanakkiri province’s Boeung Kanseang commune, told The Post that “the wildlife meat traders escaped immediately after seeing Military Police”.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... i-bushmeat
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Strueng Treng market
every day, every year....

Still, i s'pose, 'gotta look at the positive..
It shows we still do have wild animals running around in the bush.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Stung Treng, Cambodia News: There was another bust at Stung Treng market on October 14, 2019. A total of 40kgs of meat from wild animals was seized by officials; among them were a dead civet cat, deer meat, and wild boar.
The seller escaped, even though the police must know his or her identity.
Photos Arey News

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

That is more likely to be a Leopard cat, statistically.
But you can't be sure from these photographs that it is not a Fishing cat.
Very similar, and both have some individual variations in colour and pattern which can further confuse.

Very similar looking, but one is the most common wild cat in Asia, the other is probably the rarest.
There are possibly more than previously thought, and fairly widespread, but Fishing cats are super secretive - even compared with other cats which are also seen very rarely.

Leopard cats are stunning, it is a pity we don't see them more often - they are all around and watching us all the time.
(well.. if you live in good countryside)

UPDATE (blush)
I have been sweating on which species of cat it is
- and then i just took a second look at the most unclear photo, which actually shows the head.
Not a real cat at all - it is a Civet "cat". I was just looking at the coat.

'Always good to have a humility reminder.
Photographs, and nature, can play funny tricks with the light.
Quickly arrived "certainty" = ignorance in this game.
(I left the cat tutorial up anyway, for general information)
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

I wonder what monitor lizard tastes like? Gotta be better than cat...
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

bittermelon wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:51 am I wonder what monitor lizard tastes like? Gotta be better than cat...
Just like chicken.
('don't really have a clue, but that's what everybody else who doesn't know says about everything)

Australian goannas are famous for being oily, but that may be to handle the hot dry conditions.
(the oil is renowned for it's penetrating and healing qualities. Previously marketed, now illegal)
Monitors live around water, so are possibly lighter in oil and maybe with a cleaner, lighter flesh.

Cat meat is like that of all carnivores - recycled something else.
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

Goanna always reminds me of that line from "Crocodile Dundee"- ya can live on it but it tastes like sh*t".
Everything does tastes a bit like chicken I guess, fruit bat and frog do.
It's hard to believe but Joe Rogan raves about how good mountain lion tastes- I think he said it tastes like chicken.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

I could go on about the best way to prepare widgety grubs so they come out like rich, nutty, smokey scrambled eggs,
or the best ice cream to go with your live honey ants,
but we would all get an attack of the munchies.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:03 am That is more likely to be a Leopard cat, statistically.
But you can't be sure from these photographs that it is not a Fishing cat.
Very similar, and both have some individual variations in colour and pattern which can further confuse.

Very similar looking, but one is the most common wild cat in Asia, the other is probably the rarest.
There are possibly more than previously thought, and fairly widespread, but Fishing cats are super secretive - even compared with other cats which are also seen very rarely.

Leopard cats are stunning, it is a pity we don't see them more often - they are all around and watching us all the time.
(well.. if you live in good countryside)

UPDATE (blush)
I have been sweating on which species of cat it is
- and then i just took a second look at the most unclear photo, which actually shows the head.
Not a real cat at all - it is a Civet "cat". I was just looking at the coat.
Civet cat

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic