Tuktuk Driver Steals $10,000 from Drunk Cop

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Tuktuk Driver Steals $10,000 from Drunk Cop

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

No mention of how a policeman, who goes out drinking to excess, ends up with $10,000 in his pocket at the end of the night. We will have to use our imaginations.

December 18, 2018
Tuk-tuk driver tried for stealing from drunk cop

Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday tried two brothers over the theft of $10,000 and three phones from a police officer who was sleeping in his car while drunk in Chamkar Mon district.

Presiding Judge Thlang Phaneth identified the accused as Kong Sopha, 35, a tuk-tuk taxi driver living in Tuol Kork district, and Kong Sothary, 33, a phone vendor living in Sen Sok district.

Judge Phaneth said Mr Sopha was charged with theft with aggravating circumstances and faces up to ten years in jail if convicted, while Mr Sothary was charged with receiving stolen goods and faces up two years in jail.

She said that at about 1pm on May 29, Ngeth Sothea, 48, a police officer, drove home from a nightclub and stopped his car outside the gates of his house in Chamkar Mon district, where he fell asleep while drunk.

“While the victim was sleeping inside the car, Mr Sopha, who followed him from the nightclub in his tuk-tuk, entered the car and stole $10,000, three phones, and two ATM cards,” she said. “After stealing the items, the accused took the phones and sold them to his younger brother Mr Sophary, who was a phone vendor.”

Judge Phaneth noted that the theft was recorded by CCTV at the victim’s house and Mr Sopha was arrested by police at about 2pm the next day. She said that after his arrest police seized $7,000 from him.

During yesterday’s trial, Mr Sopha admitted committing the offence and confessed that before his arrest, he stole items from drunken men on eight occasions.

He told the court that he usually followed his victims in his tuk-tuk when they drove their cars or motorbikes home and looted their properties, especially their phones.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50560335/t ... drunk-cop/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Re: Tuktuk Driver Steals $10,000 from Drunk Cop

Post by Felgerkarb »

I am sure the cop's wife is very good at business.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

A little here. A little there.
It all adds up over time.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Must be a few people with $$ around. I was at ABA the other day and the guy ahead of me was using both deposit machines at the same time. One received $8400, but I didn't catch the amount on the second. Presumably he would not have needed both if it was much less.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:19 pmDuring yesterday’s trial, Mr Sopha admitted committing the offence and confessed that before his arrest, he stole items from drunken men on eight occasions.

He told the court that he usually followed his victims in his tuk-tuk when they drove their cars or motorbikes home and looted their properties, especially their phones
I almost hope they beat that information out of him and he didn't just voluntarily admit it like a prize idiot
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Bad idea to steal from a policeman - it goes against the natural laws. ;)
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

timmydownawell wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:16 pm Must be a few people with $$ around.
There absolutely is.

My neighborhood has a fair amount of affluent Khmer and there is almost always a pile of receipts laying on top of our local ATM. I'll usually take a peek at a few and I can't count how many times I've seen six figures listed on the balance... in dollars.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Captain Bonez wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:42 pm
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:19 pmDuring yesterday’s trial, Mr Sopha admitted committing the offence and confessed that before his arrest, he stole items from drunken men on eight occasions.

He told the court that he usually followed his victims in his tuk-tuk when they drove their cars or motorbikes home and looted their properties, especially their phones
I almost hope they beat that information out of him and he didn't just voluntarily admit it like a prize idiot
Dude you have no idea. The guy stole off a cop, likely a fairly high-ranking one. 8-)
The fact that the "law enforcement officer" obviously drove home drunk off his
fucking head and just happens to have ten grand in his pocket after spending
plenty in a KTV is of no concern.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
loukanavaros
Tourist
Japan

Post by loukanavaros »

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:58 pm Bad idea to steal from a policeman - it goes against the natural laws. ;)
Presumably that was the policemans wages for that month.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Vaguely related to the topic - not saying the robbed cop was traffic police or otherwise - the perp was a low-life scumbag with a long history.

One of the most lucrative 'spots' for the highway cops is at the lights on Russian Blvd right where Mike's Burger Joint is.

It's manned by three guys.

I have watched from Mike's on a few occasions and counted the stops and 'fines'

They do a stop every 5 mins or so - sometimes 2 at a time - mainly cars - sometimes motos.

Sooo at 5$ or $10 a pop they were making around 60$ an hour.

After 3pm they always vanish :plus1:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic