Cambodia's Elongated Tortoise Now Classed as "Critically Endangered".

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia's Elongated Tortoise Now Classed as "Critically Endangered".

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Elongated Tortoise's Conservation Status Changed to Critically Endangered
AKP Phnom Penh, May 12, 2019 --
Elongated Tortoise (Indotestudo elongata) is now changed from endangered to critically endangered on The International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Red List.

The concern was shared by Mr. Michael Meyerhoff, Country Director of Angkor Centre for Conservation of Biodiversity (ACCB) based in Siem Reap province.

"The change in the conservation status is due to the decline across its range by at least 80 percent in the last 90 years (three generations) for habitat loss reasons alone, and has additionally been extensively and intensively exploited for consumption and export trade. Up to now freshwater turtles and tortoises are globally one of the most threatened vertebrate groups with more than 50 percent of all species in the world with around 360 species in total and 14 species in Cambodia facing extinction," Mr. Michael Meyerhoff told the AKP via telegram recently.

Fortunately, ACCB started the breeding project of the Elongated Tortoise, one of the most endangered tortoise species in Cambodia in 2013, he pointed out.

“Currently, there are around 500 individuals of nine native species of turtles and tortoises with 300 of them are Elongated tortoises alone in ACCB and we have bred 73 baby elongated tortoises in 2018 and 35 baby tortoises already hatched in 2019 after the first heavy rain,” he added.

In Cambodia, the Elongated Tortoise suffers a lot from habitat loss and illegal trade, even though this species is protected by Cambodian law, Mr. Meyerhoff said.
http://akp.gov.kh/post/detail/9362
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodia's Elongated Tortoise Now Classed as "Critically Endangered".

Post by John Bingham »

They are believed to have aphrodisiac properties by Chinese but I have seen locals eating them. Quite a few times neighbors have asked me to sit down and join them for a feast of tortoise or more often fresh water terrapin and I have to refuse and express my distaste in my best Khmer.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

John Bingham wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:54 pm They are believed to have aphrodisiac properties by Chinese but I have seen locals eating them. Quite a few times neighbors have asked me to sit down and join them for a feast of tortoise or more often fresh water terrapin and I have to refuse and express my distaste in my best Khmer.
:thumb: Being able to speak Khmer to your neighbors permits you to refuse to eat protected species with grace and style. :2girlsit8:
Now we also need to learn how to say it in mandarin.
markd
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Post by markd »

except for humans and farmed animals, everything is critically endangered or extinct and soon everything except humans and farmed animals will be extinct
thru shit to more shit
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Tortoise protection in Cambodia
20 September 2019
Some 60 percent of all turtles worldwide are threatened, endangered or critically endangered. At the ACCB in Cambodia - where turtles are eaten and also used in traditional medicine - conservationists are working to protect endangered tortoise species and boost their populations.
Link to 7min video: https://www.dw.com/en/tortoise-protecti ... v-50511597
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

The numbers of tortoises I see regularly turning up being smuggled in news reports is astounding. These must only be the tip of the iceberg, and the animals are rare enough already. It's something that dismays me - these beautiful gentle creatures have survived for millions of years only to all get wiped out in a few decades of soup. FTW
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic