Chief Monk Kills Motordop Driver

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Chief Monk Kills Motordop Driver

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia Breaking News (Oddar Meanchey): On August 16, 2019, a Chief monk and his brother were arrested for killing a motodop driver and throwing the body in the forest in Anlong Veng district, Oddar Meanchey.

After questioning, a Chief monk, Chay Long, 27-year-old,confessed that he killed the victim by using a hammer to hit the back of the victim's neck, then he showed the police where he threw the body. The victim was identified as Dath Hat, a motordub driver. The suspect said that he killed the victim because he owed the victim 4500$, and also because the victim knew that he had a girl.

The police have requested the Department of Cult to defrock the monk for his detention.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Chief Monk Kills Motordop Driver

Post by Doc67 »

'Neither a borrower nor a lender be'

It seems both are equally dangerous in this country.

I read a book a long while back called Money #1. It contained the words, along the lines of, "don't ever tell your wife that you are worth more dead than alive because, in Thailand, dead can be arranged" Chilling advice.

How do people in serious relationships with Khmers deal with loan requests from family members? They must be fraught with risks of future relationships being soured due to default.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"How do people in serious relationships with Khmers deal with loan requests from family members? They must be fraught with risks of future relationships being soured due to default."

Easy, I find an acceptable excuse. When my Khmer wife and I first moved into our rural home there was a line up of sob stories in our front yard. My"no" made the gossip rounds. It slowed down social acceptance but my family has money in the bank.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:23 pm How do people in serious relationships with Khmers deal with loan requests from family members? They must be fraught with risks of future relationships being soured due to default.
Make it clear from the very start that you want to keep her family very much at arms length. She 's welcome to have as much contact with them as she likes, don't make it a 'them or me' issue, but just refuse to attend anything family related, very much keep a back seat, refuse the first couple of loan requests and they will soon know that you aren't 'that' sort of boyfriend that they always dreamed their little girl would have.

I'm sure people will comment on how this isn't the way it works out here, but after previous bitter experience, I can tell you it works very well. Maybe not for them, but it will for you.

She can always walk away if she's not happy about the situation, but then, as she's definitely not with you for money, as she keeps telling you, why would she?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
miciur
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by miciur »

Why just now defrock him? No one knew that he borrowed money? Monks can’t keep more then few dollars! No one knew he had close relation with a girl? Monk can’t stay with girl alone! How he became chief of monks? His habit is terrible! I don’t understand why moto driver borrowed money? Monks can’t ask money from lay people! Monks have 267 rules for they life. Before he killed he broke few rules seriously!
Be yourself, no matter what they say!
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:23 pm
How do people in serious relationships with Khmers deal with loan requests from family members? They must be fraught with risks of future relationships being soured due to default.
My in-laws even used it as a selling point when their other daughter was getting serious with a young man and they held a meeting with the young mans family. "Money is of no concern, we never even asked for any from this whitey over here"

I dated another Khmer girl who asked for money and we broke up after I said no. After that experience and when I met my now-wife, I said to her at the onset of our relationship that I am the wrong man for her if any money was to be asked for. Didn't need to say that in the end.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

I believe there was a cafe owner here who killed someone over money, and she was married to a Barang who used to post on expat forums but he has been freezing people out since the incident.
NeverNude
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by NeverNude »

miciur wrote:Why just now defrock him? No one knew that he borrowed money? Monks can’t keep more then few dollars! No one knew he had close relation with a girl? Monk can’t stay with girl alone! How he became chief of monks? His habit is terrible! I don’t understand why moto driver borrowed money? Monks can’t ask money from lay people! Monks have 267 rules for they life. Before he killed he broke few rules seriously!
These monks came into Starbucks, got the $5 Frappuccinos. Must have been a good day for donations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

xandreu wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:50 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:23 pm How do people in serious relationships with Khmers deal with loan requests from family members? They must be fraught with risks of future relationships being soured due to default.
Make it clear from the very start that you want to keep her family very much at arms length. She 's welcome to have as much contact with them as she likes, don't make it a 'them or me' issue, but just refuse to attend anything family related, very much keep a back seat, refuse the first couple of loan requests and they will soon know that you aren't 'that' sort of boyfriend that they always dreamed their little girl would have.

I'm sure people will comment on how this isn't the way it works out here, but after previous bitter experience, I can tell you it works very well. Maybe not for them, but it will for you.

She can always walk away if she's not happy about the situation, but then, as she's definitely not with you for money, as she keeps telling you, why would she?
You sound like you operate the same as me.my girlfriend now blocks or doesnt answer her family anymore because they only ever fone to ask for money.never once have they called just to say hi.
Her mum even said she was going to stop my gf from being with me if i didnt give them money.dunno how but my gf said she chooses me over them.
I know my missus isnt with me for money.there are good ones out there.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

NeverNude wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:21 am
miciur wrote:Why just now defrock him? No one knew that he borrowed money? Monks can’t keep more then few dollars! No one knew he had close relation with a girl? Monk can’t stay with girl alone! How he became chief of monks? His habit is terrible! I don’t understand why moto driver borrowed money? Monks can’t ask money from lay people! Monks have 267 rules for they life. Before he killed he broke few rules seriously!
These monks came into Starbucks, got the $5 Frappuccinos. Must have been a good day for donations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually they as, "lets say novices" have a probation period of say a year or so, which they are not ordered to hand over personal possessions or even close bank accounts and any of assets they may have. I think the rule of being celibate also comes into play when the novice becomes ordained, that could be in a period of 1 to 5 years. Also there are many reasons that they maybe at the pagoda/temple, one of the reasons may simply be that it is a better life for now! Being able to simply eat every day and having daily education. Some I have the feeling don't want to be there, but also have no choice due to circumstance. I do know of parents, who have placed their children in the Abbots care knowing it's better for their upbringing, and later on in life, the children can decide what they want to do themselves later when they are of age to make the decision.
Funny thing is I read a thread on this site sometime ago about a guy trying to obtain information on being accepted has a western Buddhist monk in this country, him I recall first trying Thailand where being what you are, and will also pay for that privilege, and the majority of Thai people would never accept or take you seriously, and why should they, it is expected of them in their life, many of them will go and spend some of their time at a pagoda or temple retreat. I have come across advertisement's for qualified English teachers to go to temples in Thailand and teach the monks for period's of time, the difference here is the teacher pays a vast sum of monies for the pleasure of doing so. But then look to the Thai Royal family who state they would, and do have western Buddhist monks in their vicinity. Also many Abbotts too uphold the reason why, and their need, quite simple the western monk can write the words in the English language for the world to see the teachings. Sri Lanka is also the same Buddhist religion. There it is possible too enter and stay at a temple and be accepted has a western Buddhist monk, also has the other monks you are in the care of the Abbott and he should do the necessary paperwork for the application of the visa, studying in this way the visa is free for the period of the year and can be applied for again the year later.
Here I am not sure, I would expect that it is not too unlike Thailand's overall thought on the subject, possible from the questions I have asked the elders or teachers, if I was given the time of day to do so, but I do so like the Khmer way' of avoiding answer's of certain questions, ether they did no know the answers or did not want too. But more then enough I had the same, of a westerner could not be excepted by them nor the public. I had met or talked with by the way of social media, a few monks involved in the same photography circles that I am too involved with, talking of possessions/belongings, have you ever seen a Buddhist monk without his smartphone?
I have given up now due to my last two encounters, the first was one who arranged to meet me in the Wat grounds I could also take photo's there too. there was two of them, but it turned out, they were more interested into boxing with the westerner, this due to not having the opportunities before, a serious situation I now found myself in at a temple of all places. both young men in their prime too, so now on my defence, first thing was to hopefully talk my way out of this, I am not the person whom looks for troubles and asked them, why would you being what you are and also represent, want to put a visitor of yours, and also three times your age so not equal, into this kind of predicament, the novice apologised, but not the other he began to be more irritated, until I picked up a sizeable bit of stone, saying too him "yes your stronger but you don't know of me" I made my retreat. The second was over social media, although I had met him and others at the temple, once again with interests of photography and being involved with the same group. He was to send me a video of a western woman being dragged into undergrowth, raped by a group of Asian men, then they cut off her head. I was shocked, never seen anything like this in my life before, my lady told a few Khmer friends of ours, they wanted to go sort him out over this. I had a talk with a police officer I know also showing him the video before deleting it. His reply was not to worry about things like this, it's because he doesn't know how too express himself.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic