WE Don't accept volunteers and heres why

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

WE Don't accept volunteers and heres why

Post by phuketrichard »

More Cambodians should look at healing their country
not filing their bank books

Thanks for your generous offer, however…. :good:

Over the past year, we have been approached numerous times by people wishing to volunteer at Human and Hope Association. Whilst we do appreciate the generous offers, as a team, we have decided to no longer accept volunteers at Human and Hope Association. This procedure is in place for a number of reasons.

Empowerment of staff – Our mission is to empower Cambodians to create sustainable futures. We believe in applying this not just to our beneficiaries, but to our staff as well. Therefore, it is important to give our staff the opportunity to thrive in their roles and gain confidence. We have seen firsthand that when volunteers come into organisations, this can often be disempowering, as the local staff believes that they cannot fulfill their jobs without the support of foreigners. We believe that local people are the subject matter experts, as they are the ones who know the country and traditions best. By promoting team work amongst the locals, they can learn from each other and not become reliant on foreigners.

read more here;
http://www.humanandhopeassociation.org/ ... r-however/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Re: WE Don't accept volunteers and heres why

Post by vladimir »

The NGO I worked at take son foreigners for a maximum of two years, but usually one. After that a Khmer takes over.

Still use volunteers for listening and speaking English skills.

Very few expats in permanent positions.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i don't think its the max time that is a concern but when they come for a week, 2 weeks than leave, it disrupts everything,
personally i think better their way, NO Barangs at all

Am sure there are plenty of Cambodians that speak english ( although how many wish to volunteer?)

I hate all these pay to volunteer organizations!!
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jacobincambodia »

There is room and a place for western volunteers. It's all about having the right regulations and procedures in place.
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

My organization still needs a native English-speaking volunteer because our materials are published in Khmer and English, and our advocacy work brings us on the international stage as well. So our written English has to be edited and excellent. Plus, the volunteer is expected to help staffs to improve their English level.

But good on Human and Hope Association for focusing on Cambodians.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic