Oknha Paul Blanche-Horgan (CEO of EZECOM in Cambodia) Passes Away

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Oknha Paul Blanche-Horgan (CEO of EZECOM in Cambodia) Passes Away

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News: Oknha Paul Blanche-Horgan (known by friends as PBH) has passed away. Oknha Paul Blanche-Horgan, who has been the CEO of EZECOM has reportedly passed away, according to friends on social media.

Oknha Paul Blanche-Horgan is one of the few westerners to have received the prestigious title of 'Oknha' in Cambodia, which was awarded to him by King Norodom Sihanomi in November of 2013. He is originally from England, but has been living in Cambodia 22 years, arriving in 1997, and considers himself Cambodian, not English.

ImageImage

May he rest in peace and condolences to all his friends and family.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Re: Oknha Paul Blanche-Horgan (CEO of EZECOM in Cambodia) Passes Away

Post by willyhilly »

Bugger. Shanghai will miss him. What will happen to the Aston Martin. RIP
angsta
Expatriate
Congo

Post by angsta »

He considers himself Cambodian? Interesting.
AinC reels off an eloquent and thought provoking monologue adlib
Barangjoymrai
Tourist
Bhutan

Post by Barangjoymrai »

Only 22 years? I beat him by 6. Where’s my oknha title? I hear they’re pretty pricey...
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

Barangjoymrai wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:58 pm Only 22 years? I beat him by 6. Where’s my oknha title? I hear they’re pretty pricey...
Always some tosser wanting to play the 'who's been here longer game'. even in situations like this.
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Paul Blanche-Horgan received Cambodian citizenship in 2013, and was made an oknha shortly afterwards.

Ezecom CEO made ‘oknha’
Daniel de Carteret | Publication date 09 December 2013 | 04:28 ICT

Paul Blanche-Horgan, the CEO of internet service provider Ezecom, will now be known as Oknha Paul Blanche-Horgan, making him one of the few Westerners to receive the prestigious and sought-after Cambodian title.

Awarded by King Norodom Sihanomi in mid-November, the new status brings Blanche-Horgan, who has lived in Cambodia for more than a decade, into the company of some of Cambodia’s most powerful tycoons and politically connected personalities.

He confirmed his appointment in an interview on Saturday, and said that it happened three weeks ago.

There are more than 200 oknhas in Cambodia. Specifics on why the honorific, which dates back centuries, is passed out to a given individual are largely shrouded in mystery.

But the lucky recipients are usually wealthy men and women who steer contributions to the government and charity projects.

Analysts have also said a $100,000-plus infrastructure donation is part of the process...

But as Blanche-Horgan stressed, he doesn’t really qualify as a foreigner any more. The government awarded him Cambodian citizenship earlier this year.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/ ... a%E2%80%99
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

willyhilly wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:35 pm Bugger. Shanghai will miss him. What will happen to the Aston Martin. RIP
He sold it years ago, even though I asked him for first dibs the sod!! I live in the same borey as PBH, once pulled out deliberately slowly to make the old codger open that Aston up in anger to get past me, what a beautiful sound.

A really top bloke and will be sadly missed. RIP. :hattip:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

He could give up the bottle but I guess he smoked even on his death bed.

RIP PBH

rtz345
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by rtz345 »

He received the title Oknna and citizenship for services rendered to Cambodia by recouping over$80 million dollars from Telsta (for whom he previously worked) in a Telecoms fiddle they had been operating. He won in a New York court which then caused may other telecoms operators to settle out of court! A sound bloke. RIP
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

rtz345 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:09 pm He received the title Oknna and citizenship for services rendered to Cambodia by recouping over$80 million dollars
Not bad for a plumber eh
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic