First they killed my father

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

First they killed my father

Post by phuketrichard »

look forward to its release. :beer3:

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: First they killed my father

Post by AndyKK »

I too look forward to the opening of this film - Was reading this article this morning.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/ ... spartandhp
Always "hope" but never "expect".
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I saw it in the in the indoor arena of Olympic Stadium a few months ago. It's not an ideal place to watch a movie, as all the seats face the court, and the sound wasn't great (most of it's in Khmer with subtitles), and by the time it got dark there were hundreds of swallows flying around twittering! The director and writer made speeches, it was funny to see Jolie getting a huge applause while barely anyone acknowledged the writer!
I have to say I didn't care much for the book, but the movie seems to have been adjusted from the original story by making it more historically accurate. The sets and costumes and cinematography are superb. The story is a bit on the light side, I know this was deliberate though. There's a lot of implied fear and threat rather than much actual violence. There was one scene where the child and her work-group came across an executed person floating in a ditch. There were two old ladies sitting behind me who found this hilarious.
Anyway, much as I love the stadium (I spent quite a bit of time working there in the past), and appreciate how they have finally refurbished it, I got a crick in my neck looking sideways at a small screen and left before the end. I thought I'd prefer to wait and see it on a decent screen with good sound.

It has an opening sequence that seriously kicks ass though, so don't miss that part!
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

another trailer here with some more footage
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Soyoung123
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soyoung123 »

Interesting article on the "hiring" process for the film

http://splinternews.com/angelina-jolie- ... 1797275560
lordofmisrule
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by lordofmisrule »

Soyoung123 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:27 am Interesting article on the "hiring" process for the film

Yeah I read that article, very interesting indeed but also a little surprising, I would have thought that Jolie would have been more sensitive than that
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Soyoung123 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:27 am Interesting article on the "hiring" process for the film

A little more about the story -

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/ ... spartandhp
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

The other night I watched the Killing Fields 1984. A journalist is trapped in Cambodia during tyrant Pol Pot's bloody "Year Zero" cleansing campaign, which claimed the lives of two million "undesirable" civilians.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

The Killing Fields is brilliant, I originally watched it in '87 when I was studying journalism. We watched it again in Phnom Penh a couple of years ago - it was chilling to know we were sitting where the events took place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

watched a Docu-film yesterday oin Netflix, cant remember the name now, it was about 3 cambodian girls who had been sex trafficed and forced in to prostitution
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic