Man Dies After Attempted Stowaway on Siem Reap Plane

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Man Dies After Attempted Stowaway on Siem Reap Plane

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodian man dies after falling from plane
VNA Wednesday, January 2, 2019 - 17:00:00 Print
Hanoi (VNA) – A Cambodian man died after falling from a plane after it took off from an airport in the northern province of Siem Reap on January 1, Kyodo news agency reported.

Airport officials said the victim, who was in his late 30s, had sneaked into Siem Reap International Airport and hidden in the plane's landing gear before falling from a height of about 30 meters following takeoff.

The accident happened at around 10:20 am on January 1 after the Lanmei Airlines plane lifted off the runway.

According to officials, who have checked airport security camera footage, the man entered the airport via an unofficial entry point and made his way to the runway unnoticed. He is believed to have a mental illness, they added.

It is the first time this kind of incident has taken place in Cambodia, according to the officials. -VNA
https://en.vietnamplus.vn/cambodian-man ... 144489.vnp
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
jaclu
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Man Dies After Attempted Stowaway on Siem Reap Plane

Post by jaclu »

He should be nominated for the Darwin awards in the exotic category. Very few people manage to fall out of a commercial passenger jet mid-flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Khmerican
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Khmerican »

I never knew any survived. Apparently some have.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_w ... ay_flights
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

jaclu wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:56 pm He should be nominated for the Darwin awards in the exotic category. Very few people manage to fall out of a commercial passenger jet mid-flight.
In the airline’s defence, he wasn’t in the aircraft in the traditional sense.
I’ve always marvelled at the sheer luck of those who have survived such escapades, as the space gets rapidly very limited.

What’s probably of greater interest is how he got onto the airfield and near the aircraft. I suspect the security folks will be facing some awkward questions
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:56 pm
What’s probably of greater interest is how he got onto the airfield and near the aircraft. I suspect the security folks will be facing some awkward questions
This is certainly a troubling breach of security. It happened mid-morning at an international airport, and nobody noticed anything, until the plane took off and the man fell out.
According to officials, who have checked airport security camera footage, the man entered the airport via an unofficial entry point and made his way to the runway unnoticed.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
sklmeera
Expatriate
Bhutan

Post by sklmeera »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:29 pm
Freightdog wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:56 pm
This is certainly a troubling breach of security. It happened mid-morning at an international airport, and nobody noticed anything, until the plane took off and the man fell out.
According to officials, who have checked airport security camera footage, the man entered the airport via an unofficial entry point and made his way to the runway unnoticed.
It would be a surprise if it was a proper country like Malaysia or Japan , but someone getting onto the runway in Cambodia is probably fairly easy .
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

OKW
Expatriate
Angola

Post by OKW »

Proper, oh yeah. Had a guy falling out of the nose gear in Africa, right after lift off, you raise the gear. Which opens the gear compartments door first for it to go inside. Most stowaways don't realize that. Had other cases as well.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

I walked right into Ethiopia before without going through any sort of Immigration.

Bought a visa from a dude they had to call to come to the airport to issue it, which involved waiting an hour for him to show up.

Didn't even realize I had walked right in until I was leaving a few weeks later and they started grilling me over my visit. Then they pointed out that I didn't go through immigration or have any entry stamps. They were starting to give me a hard time until I politely pointed out that it seems a bit unfair to blame ME for being able to just walk right out of their airport without anyone stopping me.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Captain
BANNED
Afghanistan

Post by Captain »

OKW wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:58 pm Proper, oh yeah. Had a guy falling out of the nose gear in Africa, right after lift off, you raise the gear. Which opens the gear compartments door first for it to go inside. Most stowaways don't realize that. Had other cases as well.

Sorry, but you have the sequence of events bass ackwards. Correct you raise the landing gear after takeoff. Incorrect that you open gear compartment doors for it to go inside. The doors are already open, the gear retracts, and the doors close. Correct that the stowaway doesn't realize this because the stowaway is mentally ill. I hope that helps!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic