PM Says No Titanium Mining in Chi Pat, Koh Kong

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

PM Says No Titanium Mining in Chi Pat, Koh Kong

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia Chooses Forest Conservation over $22B Investment from Titanium Mining
17/12/18 08:33
Koh Kong (FN), Dec. 15 – Cambodia decided to give up $22 billion from the investment of titanium mining in Chi Pat, Koh Kong province for the sake of forest conservation, Cambodian Prime Minister HE informed Bruno Bodard, Founder and General Manager of Most Beautiful Bays in the World Club.

The statement was made when the premier received a courtesy call from Bruno in Koh Kong province, where the 7th Sea Festival is held.

Delegate minister Sri Thamrong quoted the premier’s words to the press that, “We absolutely rejectd the titanium mining in Chi Pat, as it would cause the loss of 20,000 hectares of our forests and the destruction of our beautiful sea, changing from blue to red after mining.”

“Our policy gives up money for environment,” Prime Minister highlighted, according to the same source.
=FRESH NEWS
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: PM Says No Titanium Mining in Chi Pat, Koh Kong

Context: HE was giving a speech over the weekend at the Koh Kong Sea Festival, before his invited guest, Bruno Bodard, Founder and General Manager of Most Beautiful Bays in the World Club. The objective is to promote tourism.

December 17, 2018
PM rejects $20 billion mining investment which endangers forests
Prime Minister HE on Saturday reminded people that he had rejected a proposed Titanium mining investment worth about $20 billion in Koh Kong province because the project would devastate a huge swathe of forests and endanger wildlife.

Speaking during the Sea Festival in the province, Mr HE said that sometime ago the Mines and Energy Ministry first raised a proposal related to the investment in Thmar Baing district’s Chi Phat commune which was worth not less than $22 billion.

He said he rejected it to protect the forest, wildlife and the environment.

“I decided not to allow the Titanium investment after I studied and found that before mining for Titanium worth about $20 billion we will have to lose about 20,000 hectares of forest land which is home to rare species of wildlife, including elephants,” Mr HE said.

“Mining for Titanium will also have an environmental impact with the sea being turned red instead of being blue and that is why I decided against the investment,” he added.

Mr HE said that two months after he made the decision, there was a new request from the company concerned.

“They said that if we did not allow them to invest, Cambodia will lose the confidence of investors,” he said. “I responded by saying that losing investor confidence is one thing but I have to consider protecting Cambodian people from disaster.”
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50560060/p ... s-forests/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

Now wait for the mining to begin anyway.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Felgerkarb wrote:Now wait for the mining to begin anyway.
You cynic! Dont you realise Samdaech loves elephants?

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Felgerkarb wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:54 pm Now wait for the mining to begin anyway.
Barang chgout wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:36 pm
Felgerkarb wrote:Now wait for the mining to begin anyway.
You cynic! Dont you realise Samdaech loves elephants?

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
Holding out for a higher price ? 8-)
Elephants are worth an awful lot these days.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

There must be 4 or 5 trees left out there to protect.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Why No Titanium Mining in Chi Pat ?
Wondering what this is all about ? This article from the Phnom Penh Post in 2010 gives some clues about why the prospective titanium mine at Chi Pat was not developed. Looking back, it seems likely that the Cambodian authorities decided against the mine for financial reasons, and it is possible that the mine's backers backed out, leaving the government with no alternative to abandoning the plan.
Titanium-mining figures much too good to be true
Steve Finch | Publication date 13 August 2010 | 08:01 ICT

THE prospect of Cambodia developing its biggest mine to date – the United Khmer Group titanium concession in Koh Kong province – promises considerable economic potential. Unfortunately, the project quite simply does not add up.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/ ... od-be-true
More here from the environmental website Mongabay, also published in 2010, before the plan was abandoned.
1 September 2010
No matter what profits the company makes it’s not certain those funds would stay in Cambodia: Zwirn [from Wildlife Alliance] says that the project is being backed by Vietnamese and Chinese interests, but the company has refused to disclose the names of the private investors involved in the project.

In addition, questions have been raised as to the amount of ilmenite, which is the mineral mined for titanium production, in the area. Chea Chet has stated that United Khmer Group expects to pull up 120 million tonnes. Yet, Wildlife Alliance counters that the area was explored by another mining company, Omsaura, which estimated that only 2.5 million tonnes would be available, about 2 percent of Chet’s claim.

Zwrin says that the company is playing “classic bait and switch”. By “vastly overstating the [expected] revenues” United Khmer Group is using visions of riches to pressure the government for approval.

Conservationists fear that if this titanium mine is approved it will open the door to a variety of industrial projects in the region ultimately devastating one of Southeast Asia’s last pristine forests. The Phnom Penh Post reports that if the titanium mine is successfully approved, China is planning three to four more mines covering 100,000 hectares (247,000 acres) in the Cardamom Mountains.
https://news.mongabay.com/2010/09/secre ... ed-forest/

The Phnom Penh Post at the time made allegations that the project was only the beginning of large-scale Chinese mining development in the Cardamon Mountains (see above). It is difficult to find firm proof to back these allegations, but it would make sense if the mining project was put on hold in 2011 because the Chinese investors did not find it to be sufficiently viable at the time.
It matters little to the inhabitants of Chi Pat if the PM is presenting the decision as one of environmental concern by the government; what counts is the ultimate result. However, it is always possible that future marked increases in global titanium prices could change the outcome yet again.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

Sounds a lot like the oil development fiasco.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic