Cambodia's mass faintings in the media

Breaking news from Cambodia can be found here. CEO often finds Khmer news and translates it into English for our readers if it is interesting to expats, locals, Cambodians living abroad and anyone who wants to stay informed of the latest local and international news stories about Cambodia and our neighbors in South East Asia. There are many sources for Khmer news articles and they can all be found here in one place. Most of the media comes out of Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or Sihanoukville, but we cover national Cambodian news from all provinces.
User avatar
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Posts: 34098
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:13 am
Reputation: 1836
Location: CEO Newsroom in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Contact:
Cambodia

Cambodia's mass faintings in the media

Post by CEOCambodiaNews » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:57 am

The episodes of mass fainting in Cambodia's garment factories have made the western news.

Cambodian female workers in Nike, Asics and Puma factories suffer mass faintings
25 June 2017
Sportswear brands review spate of incidents in factories where employees on short-term contracts work 10-hour days in 30C temperatures.
Women working in Cambodian factories supplying some of the world’s best-known sportswear brands are suffering from repeated mass faintings linked to conditions.

Over the past year more than 500 workers in four factories supplying to Nike, Puma, Asics and VF Corporation were hospitalised. The most serious episode, recorded over three days in November, saw 360 workers collapse. The brands confirmed the incidents, part of a pattern of faintings that has dogged the 600,000-strong mostly female garment workforce for years...
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... s-fainting
Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
User avatar
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Posts: 13960
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:34 am
Reputation: 2179
Location: Angeles
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Cambodia's mass faintings in the media

Post by Jamie_Lambo » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:50 pm

CEOCambodiaNews wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:57 am
The episodes of mass fainting in Cambodia's garment factories have made the western news.

Cambodian female workers in Nike, Asics and Puma factories suffer mass faintings
25 June 2017
Sportswear brands review spate of incidents in factories where employees on short-term contracts work 10-hour days in 30C temperatures.
Women working in Cambodian factories supplying some of the world’s best-known sportswear brands are suffering from repeated mass faintings linked to conditions.

Over the past year more than 500 workers in four factories supplying to Nike, Puma, Asics and VF Corporation were hospitalised. The most serious episode, recorded over three days in November, saw 360 workers collapse. The brands confirmed the incidents, part of a pattern of faintings that has dogged the 600,000-strong mostly female garment workforce for years...
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... s-fainting
:thumb:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
User avatar
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Posts: 2411
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:50 pm
Reputation: 613
Location: Phnom Penh
Cambodia

Re: Cambodia's mass faintings in the media

Post by timmydownawell » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:48 pm

30-something degree heat, toxic glue fumes, what could go wrong?
No matter how much it rains, the dirt never washes away.
Dragondoug
Tourist
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:29 pm
Reputation: 0
Afghanistan

Re: Cambodia's mass faintings in the media

Post by Dragondoug » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:04 am

I hope you know that this phenomenon has happened by times throughout Asia. It is not only the factory but something else that causes them to faint in protest,
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Posts: 769
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:37 am
Reputation: 72
Spain

Re: Cambodia's mass faintings in the media

Post by AlonzoPartriz » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:48 am

Dragondoug wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:04 am
I hope you know that this phenomenon has happened by times throughout Asia. It is not only the factory but something else that causes them to faint in protest,
Medical sociologist Robert Bartholomew, who has studied mass faintings, compares episodes in Cambodia to similar outbreaks in 19th century Britain when people worked long hours in unsafe conditions. It was, he said, a form of “subconscious political resistance”. “The reason for these outbreaks is not so much physical but psychological, in the form of mass psychogenic illness” said Bartholomew.

“Providing some workers with better nutrition is all well and good, but there needs to be sweeping reforms in the areas of long hours, stressful conditions and poor wages,” he said.
See crook!!!
User avatar
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Posts: 34098
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:13 am
Reputation: 1836
Location: CEO Newsroom in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Contact:
Cambodia

Re: Cambodia's mass faintings in the media

Post by CEOCambodiaNews » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:57 pm

Faintings up 39 percent over six-month period
Wed, 12 July 2017
The National Social Security Fund (NSSF) said yesterday that incidents of garment workers fainting on the factory floor had increased by 39 percent over the first six months of the year when compared to the same period last year.

The NSSF posted the findings online but did not divulge the exact number of incidents for the first six months, saying only that there was an increase of 117 workers. The report attributed half of these faintings to psychological problems, referring to instances where workers faint upon seeing a colleague collapse, followed by health reasons and inhaling noxious substances.

A 2016 report from the social security body had reported 1,160 faintings that year, down 40 percent from 2015’s figure of 1,806 incidents. NSSF spokesman Cheav Bunrith yesterday declined to answer questions related to the report over the phone.

However, Cambodian Labour Confederation President Ath Thorn said that despite efforts by the government to improve working conditions, incidents of fainting continued to persist.
He said many factories were not up to international standards and that the government had failed to shut down factories or get them to improve their infrastructure...
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/f ... nth-period
Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
User avatar
lostjeremy
Expatriate
Posts: 348
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:00 pm
Reputation: 154

Re: Cambodia's mass faintings in the media

Post by lostjeremy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:27 pm

Always other views.... My sister in law fainted in her Chinese owned factory 2 days ago. She came home for an extended 2 hour lunch break and then went back to work even though the boss told her to take a couple days off.
She loves her job in the factory and so do my other 2 sister in laws. All 3 at different factories.


Sent from my Furious 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Rama
Expatriate
Posts: 569
Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 1:31 pm
Reputation: 56

Re: Cambodia's mass faintings in the media

Post by Rama » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:29 pm

lostjeremy wrote:Always other views.... My sister in law fainted in her Chinese owned factory 2 days ago. She came home for an extended 2 hour lunch break and then went back to work even though the boss told her to take a couple days off.
She loves her job in the factory and so do my other 2 sister in laws. All 3 at different factories.


Sent from my Furious 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Was your sister-in-law's fainting part of a mass fainting? or did she faint alone due to exhaustion or something else?
User avatar
lostjeremy
Expatriate
Posts: 348
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:00 pm
Reputation: 154

Re: Cambodia's mass faintings in the media

Post by lostjeremy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:16 pm

Not the one in this story but she said there was 6 of them.

Sent from my Furious 7 Pro using Tapatalk

AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Posts: 769
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:37 am
Reputation: 72
Spain

Re: Cambodia's mass faintings in the media

Post by AlonzoPartriz » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:30 am

See crook!!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post