Man tries to deny hit and run on traffic cop

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Man tries to deny hit and run on traffic cop

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Mass denial tactics were used by an accused man, in court yesterday for running over a police officer. He denied the incident even happened and accused the victim of Injuring himself.
Fortunately/unfortunately for him, there were a number of police witnesses at the scene of the hit and run, since it took place at a police checkpoint. He admitted to drinking five cans of beer beforehand.
Mogul denies running down cop
12 June 2018
A 42-year-old real estate businessman went on trial yesterday at Phnom Penh Municipal Court for allegedly running down a police officer while drunk in his car during a traffic stop.

Sa Sary, 42, faces charges of attempted murder and obstruction of a public official. He faces up to 15 years in prison if convicted.

Mr Sary allegedly hit the officer with his car, causing serious injuries, when he was flagged down in Phnom Penh’s Russey Keo district in February.

Presiding Judge Ros Piseth said that on February 16 at about 11pm, Mr Sary drove his Lexus RX 300 while drunk and crossed a police checkpoint on National Road 5.

A police officer named Hul Chanreasy, 29, ran onto the street to stop the accused’s car. Mr Chanreasy stood in front of the car and ordered the accused to stop and get out for an alcohol test.

“But the accused did not stop the car,” Judge Piseth said. “He sped up and drove at the victim, hitting him and causing serious injuries while rendering him unconscious on the street.”

“After hitting the victim, he fled in his car. He was arrested by police the same night in Russey Keo district,” the judge added.

Judge Piseth said that police tested his blood alcohol level, which gave a reading of 0.39 milligrams. This was enough to be fined under the Traffic Law.

During yesterday’s trial, the accused denied the allegations. He said he did not drive the car and hit the victim.

He said that on the day of the incident, he drove toward his home in Russey Keo district after drinking with friends. He said he drank five cans of beer.

Mr Sary said that when he arrived at the police checkpoint, Mr Chanreasy stopped him for a weapons, drugs and alcohol inspection.

He opened his car door and got out. He then saw the victim with an injury to his forehead lying on the road.

When he saw that the victim had been injured, he was afraid that he would be accused of hitting the victim or be beaten by other policemen. He then drove home.

“I would like to confess that I drank four or five cans of beers that night, but was not drunk,” he told the court. “I deny the charges because I did not drive my car to hit the victim as the police and the prosecutor have accused me.”

“In fact, the victim injured himself. He laid down on the street near my car. But I do not know how he got injured.”
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50499593/m ... -down-cop/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Man tries to deny hit and run on traffic cop

Post by Brody »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:57 pm He denied the incident even happened and accused the victim of Injuring himself.
Wouldn't be the first time

tonetone420
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by tonetone420 »

hahahahaha fuck traffic cops
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

tonetone420 wrote:hahahahaha fuck traffic cops