33Yo US Man, CAMERON WARD ILLER, Dies of Heart Attack

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

33Yo US Man, CAMERON WARD ILLER, Dies of Heart Attack

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): On September 5, 2021, at 3:30 pm, a 33-year-old American man, CAMERON WARD ILLER, died while he was being urgently transported to Calmette Hospital from a rented house Street 172, village 6, Sangkat Chey Chumeas, Khan Daun Penh.
Image RIP.

According to the American's ex-girlfriend, Soam Sopheanath, a 36-year-old businesswoman, the two of them were together as a couple from 2014 to 2020. Then, on September 3, 2021, she was contacted by the victim saying that he needed her help as his health was deteriorating. She went to look after him and found that he suffered from a high fever, breathing problems, and swellings on his legs.

On September 5, the victim's condition worsened and the ex-girlfriend called for a tuk-tuk to take him to the hospital. Unfortunately, he did not make it as he died on the way to Calmette Hospital.​

According to the police autopsy, the victim died from a heart attack caused by an overdose of methamphetamine.
The victim's body was kept at the Teuk Thla pagoda in Sangkat Teuk Thla, Khan Sen Sok in Phnom Penh.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: 33Yo US Man, CAMERON WARD ILLER, Dies of Heart Attack

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

Another one who lost their way into the world of ice on 172. Too bad he couldn't have made it back home and gotten straightened out. RIP Cameron.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

That's a painful read. He's been scraping by for years.
Peace bro.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:11 pm
That's a painful read. He's been scraping by for years.
Peace bro.
Indeed. Set up for drugs? But it has been downhill from way before that incident. Way too young.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I saw him around 172 recently. He was all dirty and hairy like he hadn't shaved or brushed his hair in months, staggering around in just a pair of shorts. From FB it looks like he was messed up for a long time though, he seemed to take the break up with some Thai woman very badly.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Sounds like he had some underlying mental health issues, rather than just the heartbreak. A shame.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Condolences to Family.
angsta
Expatriate
Congo

Post by angsta »

That Thai girl Nim used to hang around Gecko Bar on Soi Rambutri, out the back of the KSR in Bangkok before she met this dude. She was heavily into meth then.
AinC reels off an eloquent and thought provoking monologue adlib
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

The James that I knew (Cameron Iller) was a very sweet southern gentleman and someone that I trusted. I suppose he may have done drugs if they were offered. I don't know really, as the subject of illicit drugs seldom came up between us. He did not have money for them that was sure, and when he was healthy he enjoyed eating a lot over anything else.

I first saw him when I was on holiday in 2016 and I saw that he was hanging around locals and living on the streets around Sorya and I got to know him a bit back then, mostly out of concern. He was a fellow American and had attended a prestigious music school in the States. He could be a good conversationalist and was one of the 'sharper knives in the drawer' once he warmed up to you. He was shy to show his smarts and seemed taken with life on the street and at one time he seemed to go after that life like a millennial dharma bum.

In 2019 there he was in the same area and he was typically depressed about his life and what he was doing with it, his depression centered around his having a terminal, if not treated, illness and with him being a visa overstayer since day 31 in 2016. With him being on the wrong side of the law he did not actively seek treatment here and I believe he succumbed to that illness. He could not keep any weight on and while he may have had a heart attack and had been ingesting methamphetamines it appears that he was forcing the issue of his imminent demise and shortening his agony and I cannot say I blame him for that. Another sad story for us here and another strange set of circumstances leading up to his death too as I am now just hearing bits and pieces. A good source told me his body was stiff and cold already in the tuk tuk en route to hospital. This Thai business lady mentioned in CEO's initial story is unknown to everyone I 've asked.

He'd get sick if he ate too much and his body would not allow him enough, thus he was wasting rapidly. Monday, a less than scrupulous local woman known to both James and myself reached out to me on Facebook and tried to get me to Wing her some money to care for him and she sent some photos along with her ruse. James was already dead, and she was low enough to attempt to profit, if she already hadn't profited while "caring for him" Here is one of those photos of James supposedly taken an hour before he passed. RIP James, this is not how I will remember you brother.

[Mod edit: Photo removed to darknet.]
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic