Two Africans and a Cambodian Busted Sending Books Full of Drugs to Australia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Two Africans and a Cambodian Busted Sending Books Full of Drugs to Australia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News(Phnom Penh): Two African men and a Cambodian woman were arrested for attepting to smuggle drugs from Cambodia to Australia. On October 6, 2020, at 9:45 am, the Anti-drug Department collaborated with Fdex Express, coordinated by the Phnom Penh court prosecutor Soeung Moneyroth, to check out an unusual package which was hidden among some books being sent to Australia from Phnom Penh.
The Cambodian police arrested 3 suspects, who were identified as CONTH ABDUL, a 39-year-old man from Sierra Leone, OGAN DIMMA LGWE LINUS, a 29-year-old Nigerian man, and Han Lis, a 28-year-old Cambodian woman.
The officers confiscated 993.42 grams of the methamphetamine drug (ICE) that was found inside the package of books.

The suspects with the evidence were sent to the anti-drug department for case preparation.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Two Africans and a Cambodian Busted Sending Books Full of Drugs to Australia

Post by Doc67 »

I thought Australia has a thriving, home produced, Meth industry? Something to do with the bikers and lots and lots of remote land where you can set up a meth lab in peace.

Or was that Breaking Bad?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Two Africans and a Cambodian Busted Sending Books Full of Drugs to Australia

Post by AndyKK »

I have no idea of cost involved for the Africans, I could imagine being expensive, but than again I have no idea because drug cases are in the news every week, and many users seem to be nothing but kids, sometime ago it was said that this drug was more for the wealthy whom could afford.
I wondered if it is the fact of desperate time's bring on desperate measures.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

^

Street prices for ordinary drugs like cannabis products, amphetamine, methamphetamine, heroin, lsd, xtc etc - the real garden variety drugs - in Australia can be 4 to 10x the price they fetch in a normal civilization.

There's a few reasons for this; it's a fucking long way and Australia is a nanny state with some of the tightest border controls in the world. So yeah, the Aussies get fucked, and so do some of the pawns in the intl smuggling game, as above.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Given the consequences you'd think they would have been a bit more imaginative.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
simon.sayed
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by simon.sayed »

must control my language when it comes to these kinds. can i just say scumbags and not be accused of racism?
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Don't you worry about Oz, Jerry ^^^ it's breaking bad every whichaway.
Supply and consumption of meth. Sure the prices are high, but very affordable still - obviously >>

The bikies, mostly, still cook big.
I think the precursors are mostly imported illegally these days.
(previously they hijacked, or fraudulently bought, a lot of legit stuff)

Also big Meth imports - about 5 tonnes seized in 2017/18. (includes precursors ??)

The total weight of ATS** seized nationally increased by 583% over the last decade,
to 11,205 kilograms in 2017–18, (11 tonnes)
(total of imports and locally produced)

**ATS - Amphet Type Stimulants
approx, Meth 80% E 20% , in Oz

Heaps of real E imported, but also -
A lot of the bikie Meth (and other home cooked) gets pressed into pills and sold by the big distribution orgs as E.
And, a lot of E /MDA powder is imported and then pressed here, often cut with Meth.

That ^^ has made some of the "drug lords" extremely very super rich - one of the specific reasons for the big gangland wars/assassinations in Melbourne a decade or so ago.
Huge profits if you have good supply of fake, and can control the profitable turf patches. No competition from the real stuff.

Big busts are pretty common. One tonne or more imports.
eg, My kayak is stashed on a secret little bushy beach in Sydney Harbour - paddlocked to the side fence of the Border Force maritime base next door. (Customs/"Coast guard")
Out front there are two yachts both busted in the past few months for approx 1 ton each of Meth.
see photo below

3/5% of imports are busted they reckon nowadays - everybody laughed too much at the old 10% gag.

The Calabrians are big players in all kinds of dope here (been entrenched for a hundred years)
They do everything BIG.
Before, 25 - 50 hectare pot farms, grown as expertly as Italians grow everything.
Since the '70's, and especially now - they are hooked in big time with the whole international Calabrian org. - which has well overtaken the Sicilians these day i believe, tonnes of everything criss-crossing the globe.

This bust was Calabrian, 2005 >>
Busts like this, which blow the average annual figure out of normal proportion, are an indication of the quantity that actually does come thru every year >>

WHAT is believed to have been the world's biggest ecstasy bust - involving 15 million pills - has been made public by Australian authorities.
Federal Police today busted the Australian arm of an global drug gang which smuggled massive amounts of ecstasy into Melbourne.
They have seized 5.6 tonnes of ecstasy pills and large amounts of cocaine during a three-year operation.
Almost 20 million ecstasy tablets were seized during the exhaustive probe, which involved hundreds of AFP agents.
The bust is a world record amount for ecstasy. (2009)

2x 1 tonne load yachts outside Border Force base
training, they usually bust at sea like this
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Silly fu%kers! Believing that Australia post could actually deliver their post :lol:
Lucky dip getting an eBay purchase from a neighboring state :roll:
simon.sayed
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by simon.sayed »

We call tik in SA and it costs about $10, but is real shit stuff. The Nigerians are selling the good quality sometimes $100 or more for a straw but need to know who you deal with.

Fucking shit anyway. Making the blacks even more crazy in the townships and fucking up the trash whites equally. I seen the shit it done in my area before I moved here and see the shit it doing now in Cambodia. Fuck tik/ice.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Update and a slightly different version of the original drug bust:

December 8, 2021
Nigerians get 30 years; karaoke hostess freed

Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday sentenced two Nigerians to 30 years in prison each for selling 1.5 kilogrammes of drugs to an undercover police officer while a Khmer Karaoke hostess was acquitted and freed from prison after she was found not guilty of the offence.

Presiding Judge Sin Sovannaroath identified the two Nigerian nationals as Coteh Abul, 38; and Ogamimma Igwelin, 30.

The Cambodian woman who was freed was identified as Han Ly, 28, living in Por Senchey district’s Chom Chao III commune.

Judge Sovannaroath said that they were all charged with “drug possession and trafficking” under article 40 of Laws on Drug Control.

“The Phnom Penh Municipal Court has decided to sentence both the accused to 30 years in prison after they were found guilty of committing the offence and ordered to pay $15,000 in fines each to be put in the national budget,” he added.

They were arrested on October 7 last year by police from the Anti-Drug Department in the Ministry of Interior at a karaoke bar in Chom Chao III commune, after they were caught red-handed selling drugs to an undercover policeman.

Judge Sovannaroath said the police seized three packages of methamphetamine weighing a total of 1.5 kilogrammes from them.

Ly had told the court during the trial that when police raided the karaoke shop, she was sitting with the two drug dealers as they were guests of the bar. She was arrested and spent more than a year in prison.

“I am innocent. I am now very happy as the court has found the truth and released me from the prison,” she said outside the courtroom.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50984324/n ... ess-freed/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic