American STEPHEN RUSSELL GOURLEY Commits Suicide by Jumping from Condo in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

American STEPHEN RUSSELL GOURLEY Commits Suicide by Jumping from Condo in Phnom Penh

Post by prahocalypse now »

The American Stephen Russell Gourley, 51, topped himself by jumping from the 12th floor of a condominium building. He had been staying in room 1201 of the condo building at 54 street 482, Phnom Penh since 1 February.

Oknha Nang Sovannaroth, a Phnom Penh Municipal Medical Officer, said he died from head injuries. His body has been taken to the pagoda. RIP.

Graphic details of this case have been moved to Darknet.
Last edited by prahocalypse now on Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Re: American Stephen Russell Gourlly, 51, Tops Himself

I think this is him because the google translation said he was from California and this Stephen Gourley is from California. https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 1519547565

He wrote this on facebook about 2 months ago.
I suffered brain trauma after a serious motorcycle accident in Cambodia at the end of September, 2017. Thank God I was wearing a helmet or I may not be writing this! Another reason I survived is due to the outstanding medical evacuation and healthcare I received due to the excellent health insurance provided by TTc. The coverage and service provided by TTc was simply outstanding! I highly recommend this caring, compassionate company to all overseas Christian workers in need of quality health insurace. They are truly God-honoring!
Last edited by prahocalypse now on Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Re: American Stephen Russell Gourley, 51, Tops Himself

Post by Cam Nivag »

Was he a “freelance child rights activist” detained in Cambodia in 2007 for participating in a political protest?

Source: https://www.cambodiadaily.com/archives/ ... ing-75743/
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

His LinkedIn page says he’s a child rights consultant and the Phnom Penh Post previously identified him as Licadho’s child rights consultant.

Cue the conspiracy theories that he must have been thrown off the building by child traffickers.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Good find. That's him for sure.

He also associated with Cambodian political activists (on facebook) and posted photos of CNRP rallies.

That'll get the usual suspects reaching for their tinfoil hats.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

He wrote a lengthy academic report on children’s rights in Cambodia here:

https://www.unicef.org/cambodia/The_Mid ... _Small.pdf
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

californiabeamin
Tourist
United States of America

Post by californiabeamin »

This is very sad.

I believe I met this guy through an acquaintance. If it is the same guy, he had been involved in some major protests including at one at Wat Phnom where he was attacked by thugs he said on the behest of officials during a sit in.

I think he was involved in a Christian action network of some sort.

he was involved in some nasty custody dispute, if it is the same guy. He felt it was all political.

In this climate given how much this guy seemed to have been involved in direct protest action, anything could have happened. Saying that, it seems he was very depressed about that custody dispute and some allegations around it. He was in a bad way emotionally I think. If it's the same guy. But not such a common name so I guess it probably is.

It's sad that even someone who looked to have good networks didn't have anyone to talk him down. But if they are intent on it, I guess there's no stopping em'
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by thePeck »

This is really sad, not the usual deaths that happen here to expats/tourists. Seems like he was very involved in the country and cared about the people here. My only thought is with a recent head/brain trauma it can really affect your mood, but he seemed very upbeat in his post.

RIP
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Sad...RIP
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic