Woman drowning at the beach?

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Woman drowning at the beach?

Post by thePeck »

My girl just said a girl on our bus to the beach about 2 weeks ago drowned. Can't find anything. You hear anything OD over there?
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Re: Woman drowning at the beach?

Post by vladimir »

A word of advice to everybody: in my younger days I did a lot of surfing and swimming.

You cannot always judge what the sea is doing from what you see on the surface, and some calm water can hide very strong rip currents underneath. You might think Sinville beaches look calm, but they can be very dangerous.

Be careful, a few seconds is all it takes, and please watch your kids (and other people's, not everyone is a good parent, but the kid shouldn't suffer if we can help).
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Yeh, it was a khmer girl (not sure of age). A lot of speculation, no answers... my speculation is the rip current that orch. beach has that half of the residents say doesn't exist. it's pulled me out and under once in the 3 times i've swam there, but never far. but i'm also not a khmer chick, of any age, and have been swimming in strong currents since i could walk.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Best advice if you find yourself in a rip, relax, go with it and try and float on your back. Fighting it will often kill people.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by thePeck »

OrangeDragon wrote:Yeh, it was a khmer girl (not sure of age). A lot of speculation, no answers... my speculation is the rip current that orch. beach has that half of the residents say doesn't exist. it's pulled me out and under once in the 3 times i've swam there, but never far. but i'm also not a khmer chick, of any age, and have been swimming in strong currents since i could walk.
I bet you've been called that though lol ;-)

I grew up on Florida beaches, we ALWAYS had bitch rip currents. Because of all the sand bars it caused bad ones. But Vlads advice is sound. Just let it pull, don't panic and after it's done swim back in or Parallel to the shore if it's still strong.

I haven't ever felt one at the beach here yet, or one I'd even call a rip tide.
Bosco
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Bosco »

Was down the coast in Ha Tien for a swim yesterday. Also a nasty current there. The Viets have better markings warning people which is helpful.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

thePeck wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote:Yeh, it was a khmer girl (not sure of age). A lot of speculation, no answers... my speculation is the rip current that orch. beach has that half of the residents say doesn't exist. it's pulled me out and under once in the 3 times i've swam there, but never far. but i'm also not a khmer chick, of any age, and have been swimming in strong currents since i could walk.
I bet you've been called that though lol ;-)

I grew up on Florida beaches, we ALWAYS had bitch rip currents. Because of all the sand bars it caused bad ones. But Vlads advice is sound. Just let it pull, don't panic and after it's done swim back in or Parallel to the shore if it's still strong.

I haven't ever felt one at the beach here yet, or one I'd even call a rip tide.
it's far from massive, not even overpowering to an experienced swimmer. weak enough that when it grabbed me i dipped under and was able to go semi-perpendicular out of it before i was even clear of it. but to a 50 kilo girl who's never been in the water over her belly button and is wearing a t-shirt and heavy wet jean shorts... devastating i'm sure.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

You fella's know how this town runs on rumour and innuendo, so I'm not putting this out as gospel. But the latest I heard from a couple of Khmer girls down on the beach was that it was a suicide after she broke up with her boyfriend a couple of days before.
Bosco
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Bosco »

Hotdigr wrote:You fella's know how this town runs on rumour and innuendo
Yes, it's a complete shithole.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Hotdigr wrote:You fella's know how this town runs on rumour and innuendo, so I'm not putting this out as gospel. But the latest I heard from a couple of Khmer girls down on the beach was that it was a suicide after she broke up with her boyfriend a couple of days before.
how? she jump off the pier then wade out to where she couldn't touch?

;-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic