Lexus/Moto crash at Independence Monument :(

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Lexus/Moto crash at Independence Monument :(

Post by General Mackevili »

I put this in the "Newsworthy" section, but it's probably more newsworthy when a day goes by and a Lexus hasn't crashed at Independence Monument. :sorry:

And now half the Freshie Boyz have Dukes. I'll be surprised if I live to be 30 if I continue to drive here. :(

All taken off facebook...
After a visit to the city center last night, I head back to my house on the back of a motor taxi in Phnom Penh. At the Independence Monument I see that my driver is being challenged by two girls on a bigger bike. They smile at us. They are laughing. But my driver isn't crazy, he won't go faster and spoil any gas.
The girls take off again. Next crossing: a Lexus comes out of a side street way too fast, like seriously about to fall to one side and continues straight onto my road, Sihanouk Boulevard. My driver and I have a laugh about these crazy people on the road.
Then we hear the distinct sound of breaking plastic and metal and the sound they both make on pavement. And screaming. There is a lot of screaming. Out of nowhere people crowd around the scene. The girls are dead. Simply and totally run over by the Lexus, that was driven by such intoxicated people that they drove right into the construction fences that block half the road. The amount of blood says enough. The Lexus is on its side and the driver climbs out. Another passenger climbs out. And they disappear into the night.

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Re: Lexus/Moto crash at Independence Monument: 2 Girls Dead

Post by Soi Dog »

That is very sad.
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

That's fucked up. Oops, run away.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Who the fuck let them run away?! This shit burns me up. I have fantasies of quietly following hit and run culprits back home on my bike. Maybe the license plates will give clues Either way, even if they find them it'll mean a small payoff and nothing compared to the worth of something like a life, which you simply can't put a number on.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Jaap N.
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Jaap N. »

I'm sure Phnom Penh's finest are going after the culprits as we speak. Oh wait, might be too difficult, even with de license plates known. Fcuk, just imagine your daughter not coming home anymore because some asshole decided to get shitfaced and still drive his car.
Edit: I hope they get the fuckers.
So sorry for the girls and their families and friends.
Last edited by Jaap N. on Thu May 22, 2014 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
doktor_d
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by doktor_d »

I'm not on failbook, so I haven't seen the post above, but kohsantepheapdaily has an article that looks to be about the very same happening, but the story they tell is very different..

http://kohsantepheapdaily.com.kh/article/96468.html

From skimming through the article it seems it was a collision between two cars.. The lexus tried to flee the scene and smashed into two small motorcycles. There's no talk of dead people or lots of blood from my understanding, but only moderate damage to the motorcycle drivers that were taken to a hospital for treatment.

I'm inclined to believe the information from a newspaper over gossip from failbook so unless kohsantepheapdaily or another newspaper posts an update with other information than that in the article above, I would think it best to take all unconfirmed gossip and hearsay posted on social networking sites with a pinch of salt.. :thumb:
Alcohol is necessary so that a man can have a good opinion of himself, undisturbed by the facts
JBTrain
Expatriate

Post by JBTrain »

doktor_d wrote:I'm not on failbook, so I haven't seen the post above, but kohsantepheapdaily has an article that looks to be about the very same happening, but the story they tell is very different..

http://kohsantepheapdaily.com.kh/article/96468.html

From skimming through the article it seems it was a collision between two cars.. The lexus tried to flee the scene and smashed into two small motorcycles. There's no talk of dead people or lots of blood from my understanding, but only moderate damage to the motorcycle drivers that were taken to a hospital for treatment.

I'm inclined to believe the information from a newspaper over gossip from failbook so unless kohsantepheapdaily or another newspaper posts an update with other information than that in the article above, I would think it best to take all unconfirmed gossip and hearsay posted on social networking sites with a pinch of salt.. :thumb:
As the FB post was an eyewitness account by someone known to many of us, I'm giving him the edge over Khmer media which is known to report as fact giant squid the size of Louisiana washed up on California beaches.
Using Tapatalk
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

doktor_d wrote:... I would think it best to take all unconfirmed gossip and hearsay posted on social networking sites with a pinch of salt.. :thumb:
Agreed regarding gossip on Facebook. That's also why I mentioned where it came from.

However, as JBT says below, I'm not sure how much faith I have in the local news outlets either (or international news outlets either, but I'm not wearing a tin hat, for the record).
JBTrain wrote:
As the FB post was an eyewitness account by someone known to many of us, I'm giving him the edge over Khmer media which is known to report as fact giant squid the size of Louisiana washed up on California beaches.
Yeah, in this case I'm definitely giving him "the edge" as you say.

I also didn't feel the need to look into it further before posting it here, as he doesn't even "out" anyone, and he at least had pics to proof that SOMETHING happened.

Let's see what happens with the media, and I'll update this thread if any comments come up that could be of interest.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
russel spiers
Tourist

Post by russel spiers »

Oh dear, the priviledged are able to kill people on the road with minimal penalties. The one in the paper recently when the drunk copper killed one moto and the other two lost a leg each.....
I think maybe $500 for the dead and $400 each for the maimed.
doktor_d
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by doktor_d »

Yes.. something happened. That is quite obvious from the newspaper article. It also shows several pictures from the scene of the accident.. Very similar to the part you copyied and pasted from failbook - The only difference is that it has way more information and also a couple of more pictures.. None of which show any blood and nowhere in the updated article does it say anyone died.

I find it ridiculous to imply that the local news would cover up a traffic accident or lie about the outcome of an accident when they post page up and page down of uncensored articles with close ups of dead victims every day.

Giving a buddy "the edge" on a half told story of something he saw on the way back from a night on the town (or whatever) on the back of a motorbike taxi.. only because he ain't Khmer and you know him doesn't make it fact.

How about we make posts about rumors as rumors and confirmed facts as facts?

And (to all posters..) let's give the fucking khmer bashing a rest.. hate specific people for what they do, not the whole race based on the color of their skin, their religion or their ethnicity.

Rise above that shit.
Alcohol is necessary so that a man can have a good opinion of himself, undisturbed by the facts
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic