English proficiency world wide

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

English proficiency world wide

Post by phuketrichard »

Cambodia only beat out Laos in Asia

In Asia the proficiency scores go from Singapore at the top with 66.03 to Laos at the bottom with 37.56. Outside Asia, many European countries rank higher with places like Netherlands (top of the world rankings), Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Luxembourg, German, Austria and Poland ranking higher than Singapore. African countries and Latin American countries fared fairly poorly.

In South East Asia, Thailand only beat out Cambodia and Laos with all other ASEAN countries performing better in the index. Thai women also outperformed Thai men with English proficiency but that trend is fairly consistent in most Asian countries.
https://www.phuketgazette.net/lifestyle ... roficiency
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
chorlton
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Re: English proficiency world wide

Post by chorlton »

visiting borneo Malaysia surprised me the most ref this

only spent a month in Vietnam and I don't remember it being much better than Cambodia but im yet to venture too far from tourist towns here...yet

interesting results
"Tolerance towards intolerance is cowardice"
- Ayaan Hirsi Ali
chorlton
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by chorlton »

edit - double post, whoops
- Ayaan Hirsi Ali
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

A quick glance over that, does not say whether it is on written or spoken English or both. . Also I would think certain areas of a country, such as cities would have a better command of English over country areas, so their results would depend on what proportion of their test subjects were in each area.
I have noticed in Cambodia many people can read or write English but are very poor speakers. Any kid can go home and practice their English writing skills ,,, but cannot practice their speaking skills unless someone else in the family speaks good English.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
chorlton
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by chorlton »

Duncan wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:51 am A quick glance over that, does not say whether it is on written or spoken English or both. . Also I would think certain areas of a country, such as cities would have a better command of English over country areas, so their results would depend on what proportion of their test subjects were in each area.
I have noticed in Cambodia many people can read or write English but are very poor speakers. Any kid can go home and practice their English writing skills ,,, but cannot practice their speaking skills unless someone else in the family speaks good English.
spot on and why apps like tinder lull you into a false sense of your match being good at speaking English only to find they can merely read/write it (or uses google translate well) :BangHead:
- Ayaan Hirsi Ali
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It's a bullshit survey, Thais are fucking terrible at English.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:56 am It's a bullshit survey, Thais are fucking terrible at English.
Indeed. It is done by EF, the McDonalds of ESL teaching. The sampling is not accurate because the participants all self-select on the internet.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EF_Englis ... ency_Index
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I have lived in both Cambodia and Vietnam for quite some time and find that English in Vietnam is a lot less prevalent than in Cambodia. But the I do not know what criteria have been used here.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

hanno wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:33 am I have lived in both Cambodia and Vietnam for quite some time and find that English in Vietnam is a lot less prevalent than in Cambodia. But the I do not know what criteria have been used here.
It is only a test of reading and listening skills.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

prahocalypse now wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:42 am
hanno wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:33 am I have lived in both Cambodia and Vietnam for quite some time and find that English in Vietnam is a lot less prevalent than in Cambodia. But the I do not know what criteria have been used here.
It is only a test of reading and listening skills.
Then Vietnam should be very much at the bottom.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic