Phone and Bag snatching in Phnom Penh increasing

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Phone and Bag snatching in Phnom Penh increasing

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

More and more cases of motorbike drive-bys, where there are guys who drive up and do phone snatching or bag snatching in Phnom Penh. Police should be on this as it is happening more often, especially on riverside and tourist areas.
Latest complaint:
Baltej Singh
18 hrs
I had a very bad day yesterday. I was taking a ride on a motorbike taxi to go back to hostel in phnom penh. I was showing location to the driver by gps and my phone was in my hand. Someone snatch my phone from my hand. My phone is locked with a password and my fingerprint. I had registered my phone on samsung's Find my device. But its not finding the location of my phone. It shows only if my phone would be connected to a new network as u guys can see in screenshot i will attach in this post. If anyone can help me with this situation or advice me what should i do. I will be very thankful...
Facebook.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Phone and Bag snatching in Phnom Penh increasing

Post by ExPenhMan »

There's more of everything happening the last couple of years in PP. It was one of the things that turned me off of returning to PP.

Read some of the posts on the FB expat pages. Someone asks where they can buy a second-hand phone. Eventually they spill the beans their phone was snatched in a lift from a cafe. Other commenters chime in with loss of passports, phones, wallets, plus break-ins and muggings. Just on a single thread. Saw this theft phenomenon reported on frequently in the expat pages.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

Are there more & more tourists walking around with expensive phones in their hands & not paying any attention to whats happening around them I wonder :)
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I see locals riding around on their phones all the time, but stationary targets are easier.
Foreign tourists and the recently arrived are particularly easy marks as they are often not
so aware of their surroundings/ risks and don't really know what to do or say when something like this happens.
I get the picture that many have perhaps led fairly sheltered lives before they came here and consequently don't have too many street smarts. :smileinbox:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

quite a lot of this and worse (acid/liquid in the face) happening in London UK in the last few weeks... yoofs on scooters...
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I do not think it is worse, this seems to come and go in waves. There are more and more people about with expensive stuff as Jaynewcastle mentioned. And it is not just tourists that get ripped.
Popeye
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Popeye »

Last week walking down street 154 on the road facing the traffic and a moto came in the inside of me and snatched my glasses case out of my top shirt pocket. Surprise for them, having scored a $ 2 pair on spec's !!!!
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

I'm with hanno and LL.

There are many people here earning less than $1/hour.

Wave a $300 phone around, and they realise they can make half a month's wages in a minute.

What do people expect?

Borderline baiting.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
bobsboots
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by bobsboots »

vladimir wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:01 pm I'm with hanno and LL.

Wave a $300 phone around, and they realise they can make half a month's wages in a minute.

What do people expect?

Borderline baiting.
Fair point, of course, but what I don't get is that in Jakarta there are hundreds of thousands of very poor people and hundreds of thousands of people flashing their smart phones, yet bag and phone snatching is surprisingly rare.It is not something you even have to consider while walking. It seems to be something endemic to Cambodia but I wish I knew why. Does it happen so prevalently in Bangkok, New Dehli, Manilla ?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

vladimir wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:01 pm I'm with hanno and LL.

What do people expect?

Borderline baiting.
Earnings are nothing to do with it! They are just plain THIEVES. :whip:
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic