French Expat THOMAS MICHILS Arrested for Stealing a Bike in Kampot, Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

French Expat THOMAS MICHILS Arrested for Stealing a Bike in Kampot, Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Kampot, Cambodia News: A 56-year-old French man, THOMAS GEORGES FREDDY MICHILS, was arrested at 09:30 am on July 08, after trying to steal a rental motorbike in Teuk Chhou district, Kampot.

The source said that on July 07 at 12:51 PM the suspect stole an Airblade rental motorbike plate no. 1acs-1616, which belong to Hem Sony, a 39-year-old Cambodian man.

Before the incident, the motorbike owner thought that the suspect took the wrong motorbike, so he waited until morning, but his motorbike wasn't returned. So then the victim checked his security camera, he found that the suspect came to take his bike. After that, at 3 pm on July 07, the suspect changed the clothes to come and take another motorbike. The victim realized that the suspect was trying to steal his motorbike, so he filed the complaint to the police to arrest the suspect.

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: French Expat THOMAS MICHILS Arrested for Stealing a Bike in Kampot, Cambodia

Post by AndyKK »

About taking the wrong moto! I was sitting eating and drinking, watching the world go by. A Khmer pulled up on a Honda dream and parked up in the row of more dreams outside the restaurant. He came in to eat. When he went to leave, he got on the Honda next to his own! The bike started up with his key, all of a sudden there's a big performance and he's surrounded by people preventing him leaving. Genuine mistake of identity.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: French Expat THOMAS MICHILS Arrested for Stealing a Bike in Kampot, Cambodia

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Appears to happen daily in Kampot, people post in the Noticeboard because their bike has been taken by mistake, usually from outside a bar late at night.

Here's a novel idea, lock your bike up, or even better leave the farking thing locked up at home if you're going out drinking!
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Also about taking the wrong moto, when SHV utopia was still on its first location on the beach, a french khmer friend and myself got out rental nabbed, my friend was insisting that not our bike was actually ours “look the key is starting it” he kept on saying.
We ended up riding it away, only to fall down miserabily on the first sand bump with the khmer rightful owner chasing us and quickly retrieving his bike only adding more shame to our bruised egos.
Of course the next morning we had to share the 800$ stolen rental cost.
Last edited by Barang_doa_slae on Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KennyZ
Tourist
Netherlands

Post by KennyZ »

Sure this is the same guy that tried the same thing in front of my place here in Kampot with a friends Airblade. When my friend confronted him (straight away as he was trying to start the Airblade), he said he took the wrong bike by accident and apologized. Same guy stole plant-pots and jerrycans from another place and another motobike around the corner from my place. Great guy. Glad they arrested him. :lol:
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Keys from the same type of cheap brand bike will often work in the same type of bike but it will eventually break the lock if you use it too much. Those things ignite from the twist of a screwdriver. Really don't get what all the surprise is about.

Next people will be chocked their $5 padlock or their front door is the same shit... What do you mean my 10KKHR lock with a key like everyone else from a glue sniffing mechanic sucks?!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic