Cambodian Rice is starting to increase in quality and export

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Cambodian Rice is starting to increase in quality and export

Post by OrangeDragon »

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/30/busin ... plate.html
Cambodian exports have improved along with their quality; the rice can now be found in high-end grocery markets in the West. Last year, Cambodia was the world’s fifth-largest exporter of rice and the second-biggest exporter of premium jasmine rice. Sales of milled rice abroad reached 378,856 tons.
Cambodia hopes to make the most of the opportunity, setting a target of one million tons of milled rice for export by the end of 2015. It already has the milling capacity, and customs fees on rice exports have been scrapped.
Good to hear!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Cambodian Rice is starting to increase in quality and ex

Post by Username Taken »

With so much food to export that should put paid to poverty and beggars, yeah?

:popcorn:
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Username Taken wrote:With so much food to export that should put paid to poverty and beggars, yeah?

:popcorn:
in the long term it could help considerably. a significant amount of the poverty comes from subsistence farmers unable to create their subsistence for whatever reason, increasing their income would afford them the ability to save money back for that time. as well as making actually farming more/as profitable than begging, resulting in parent sending kids out to fields to work instead of out to the streets around the riverside/ferry. not sure which of those is better I guess, since neither is school.

all in all, increased prosperity does spread around. perhaps not evenly, but we've seen how well communism works in this country haven't we?
Garry.Crabtree
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by Garry.Crabtree »

I think I'm allergic to rice, I must be basmatic
According to the proverb: The pun is mightier than the sword
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Garry.Crabtree wrote:I think I'm allergic to rice, I must be basmatic
Aren't you reaching dangerously near your limit for the month? ;-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic