Cambodian Tycoon Threatens to Have Journalists Shot Dead

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Cambodian Tycoon Threatens to Have Journalists Shot Dead

Post by General Mackevili »

A glass-manufacturing tycoon on Saturday threatened to shoot dead two local journalists as they were covering a dispute he was having with another businessman in Phnom Penh, according to a report posted on the National Police website.

The journalists, from Cambodia Express News and Bayon TV, were covering an argument between Tang Pheng Por, who owns an eponymous glass company, and Ly Kim Heng, who trades in soil, outside Mr. Pheng Por’s factory in Pur Senchey district when the death threat was made.

The police website said the dispute between the businessmen had broken out after soil delivery trucks owned by Mr. Kim Heng attempted to pass a public road in front of Mr. Pheng Por’s factory, which Mr. Pheng Por had blocked with concrete posts.

“During the argument, the two journalists from Cambodia Express News and Bayon TV went to the site and reported about the dispute between the two persons,” the police report says.

“Oknha Tang Pheng Por ordered the journalists to stop taking photographs, but the journalists refused to follow the order,” the report continues.

“After that, Oknha Tang Pheng Por ordered his bodyguards to shoot the journalists dead. At his order, the two bodyguards confiscated the cameras and then there was a scuffle.”

According to the police report, Mr. Pheng Por then became angry and attempted to call forces from the nearby Brigade 70 as reinforcements. The report does not elaborate on this, and does not say whether any arrests were made at the scene.

Cambodia Express News reporter Sorn Sophal said Sunday that he was one of the two journalists threatened by Mr. Pheng Por.

“They tried to push the reporters out from the event when the dispute took place and then I took their picture,” said Mr. Sophal. “I was threatened to be shot when I took the picture of the truck.”

Neither Mr. Kim Heng nor representatives of Mr. Pheng Por’s company could be reached for comment.

[email protected]

http://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/tycoo ... ead-63937/
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
ali baba
Expatriate

Re: Cambodian Tycoon Threatens to Have Journalists Shot Dead

Post by ali baba »

What happened next?

Did the journos call the police?
Did they arrest the Okhna for making death threats and stealing cameras?

Don't leave me hanging cambod.
Scarier than malaria.
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

I know a Khmer journalist that I would be happy if was found to have suffered a horrible death.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

ali baba wrote:
That's all I got...
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
JessB52
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by JessB52 »

General Mackevili wrote:
ali baba wrote:
That's all I got...
Wait, you're Cambod? Whaaaat? :shock:
Cambodia's answer to Bet Lynch

https://www.facebook.com/JessatQuealys
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

Kudos to the journos for standing up against a fucking scumbag. That might have helped that one of them is from Bayon TV, though.
I can't believe the sense of entitlement and impunity of these Oknha.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

Can't help but wonder if he's a considerate driver?
HotRecruiter
Expatriate

Post by HotRecruiter »

Joon wrote:Kudos to the journos for standing up against a fucking scumbag. That might have helped that one of them is from Bayon TV, though.
I can't believe the sense of entitlement and impunity of these Oknha.
What's the relevance of Bayon TV? Are they more independent somehow, or CNRP-backed?
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

HotRecruiter, Bayon TV's general manager is the PM's daughter.

To clarify, I meant that "it might have helped" into making them to dare to stand up against the businessman's brash and outrageous behavior.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

That exactly proved my point with my exchange with the Dragon. The fact that the journalists were threatened they should consider themselves lucky. When those fuckers really feel threatened, they will hire a hit man or their dumb shit body guards to do the dirty work and leave any evidence clean.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic