Inflation in Cambodia.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kampuchia Crumbs
Expatriate
United States of America

Inflation in Cambodia.

Post by Kampuchia Crumbs »

Just curious about Inflation in Cambodia. Becoming a concern here in the US, and since the Cambodia currency is tied to the dollar (???) has it had much of an impact there.

Prices rising drastically / item sizes reduced?

Do you think there is any chance they will decouple from the almighty (not so much allmighty anymore) DOLLAR?

As side notes, will inflation also cause OIL to be decoupled from the dollar? What will be the reserve currency in the future? CRYPTO????

What say's ye all..... :chin:
What, Me worry?
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Inflation in Cambodia.

Post by nerdlinger »

Kampuchia Crumbs wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:50 am since the Cambodia currency is tied to the dollar (???)
Is it?
ofparadise
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ofparadise »

Kampuchia Crumbs wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:50 am Just curious about Inflation in Cambodia. Becoming a concern here in the US, and since the Cambodia currency is tied to the dollar (???) has it had much of an impact there.

Do you think there is any chance they will decouple from the almighty (not so much allmighty anymore) DOLLAR?

As side notes, will inflation also cause OIL to be decoupled from the dollar? What will be the reserve currency in the future? CRYPTO????

It's not. Not sure where you got that information.

KHR is a free float currency. And usd is just commonly accepted as legal tender by merchants.

Similar to how you can use Brunei currency in Singapore.
Kampuchia Crumbs
Expatriate
United States of America

ofparadise wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:41 am
Kampuchia Crumbs wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:50 am Just curious about Inflation in Cambodia. Becoming a concern here in the US, and since the Cambodia currency is tied to the dollar (???) has it had much of an impact there.

KHR is a free float currency. And usd is just commonly accepted as legal tender by merchants.

Uh oh..... I heard it verbally at one time, and assumed it to true since it always traded at 4000 to 4100 as long as I have known. Duh on me :cry: Does anyone know when it last traded outside this range?

As a side note. When travelling there I would stay 3 weeks to 2 months, always felt strange when leaving and having to use coins as change again. Found that I liked not having to have coins a nice thing.
What, Me worry?
Kampuchia Crumbs
Expatriate
United States of America

nerdlinger wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:53 am
Kampuchia Crumbs wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:50 am since the Cambodia currency is tied to the dollar (???)
Is it?
Bad info on my part, sorry. It will be interesting to see how the exchange rate goes forward as the US politicians keep acting like drunks in a liquor store when it comes to spending.
What, Me worry?
ofparadise
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ofparadise »

Kampuchia Crumbs wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:21 am Uh oh..... I heard it verbally at one time, and assumed it to true since it always traded at 4000 to 4100 as long as I have known. Duh on me :cry: Does anyone know when it last traded outside this range?
The National Bank of Cambodia's Official Exchange Rate Determination Committee monitors the exchange rate and intervenes when needed. You can check the website for more details https://www.nbc.org.kh/
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

For a long time now, the exchange rate has been maintained at 4,050 to $1 using the managed exchange rate regime that is neither fixed nor completely floated.

Quoted from a good article in the PP Post.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/special-r ... larisation
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Kampuchia Crumbs wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:21 am Uh oh..... I heard it verbally at one time, and assumed it to true since it always traded at 4000 to 4100 as long as I have known. Duh on me :cry: Does anyone know when it last traded outside this range?
The only data point I have is Gilbert’s “Cambodian for Beginners” (2008), which suggests a rate of 3800 riel to the dollar.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Yes, prices are up in Cambodia, no doubt. Especially food is getting more and more expensive, but fuel also went up about 20% over the last weeks.

Don't believe any crypto will be the next world reserve currency, there's no way in hell any government will accept a reserve currency they have no control over. My guess is after the Dollar falls (in the next decade?) it will be either some SDR from the IMF, the EURO of the RMB. In order of likelihood, at least as I perceive it.

I am trying to move away from money because no matter how this will end, it will end in tears for those with money to spare. Better move into any asset central banks / governments can not print. Avoid going full into crypto. When crypto's take a serious dive the exchanges go down for hours, when shit really hits the fan you will probably have no access to you crypto (instantly, maybe for days). Keep a mix of assets including crypto and some cash. Money in your bank can be gone overnight when governments want, some gold or crisp 100$ notes can't. Also houses or other real estate will survive whatever is ahead of us. You might also consider keeping Swiss Francs or Norwegian Crowns as opposed to EUR and USD. I am seriously considering buying some.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

ofparadise wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:41 am

Free floating currencies of developing countries like Cambodia don't change just 7.5% to the dollar during a decade. It's a manipulated market.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic