Dodging the dengue fever bullet

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Dodging the dengue fever bullet

Post by phuketrichard »

as on who has had Dengue TWICE now and other if they have had it will really feel this is a hell of a break thru.
here may be hope. French company Sanofi Pasteur is developing a vaccine that may be available as soon as late next year.

The vaccine is effective against all four dengue virus serotypes, said Eric Mansion, Managing Director of Sanofi Pasteur’s Thailand-Myanmar-Laos division.

The first of two pivotal Phase III efficacy studies of the vaccine showed a 56 per cent decrease of dengue cases in 31,000 volunteers throughout Southeast Asia.

“The Phase III clinical study was conducted in Asia amongst children aged 2 to 14 years from dengue endemic areas of Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam,” Mr Mansion explained.

“For the first time in a Phase III study, the vaccine demonstrated protection against dengue in Asian children.” - See more at: http://www.phuketgazette.net/special-re ... ad-image-0
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Dodging the dengue fever bullet

Post by StroppyChops »

I'd pay for that once it was approved by a western nation.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

StroppyChops wrote:I'd pay for that once it was approved by a western nation.
Unlikely as very few western countries have dengue.

I also have had dengue twice. 2nd time was a breeze.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Sure, but the pharmaceutical companies that stand to benefit from producing those shots in the millions exist in western countries...
Born-Confused
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Born-Confused »

StroppyChops wrote:Sure, but the pharmaceutical companies that stand to benefit from producing those shots in the millions exist in western countries...
Ummm - Sanofi-Pasteur is at the centre of this trial - this company is probably the largest company in the world devoted to production of vaccines - you probably got some of these before you left for Cambodia.........
The company has centres in different parts of the world for the purpose of trialling their vaccines to tackle diseases where they are most prevalent. So given that dengue is most prevalent in SEA, then their R & D site in Chachoengsao Thailand makes alot of sense.
Vladmir wrote:I also have had dengue twice. 2nd time was a breeze.
That's probably coz you got a different serotype the second time. If you get another hit with a virus of the first, or now even the second....... then that could become a problem with hemorrhagic shock syndrome.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

The doctor (at SOS, iirc) told me that you can't get the same type twice...
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

vladimir wrote:I also have had dengue twice. 2nd time was a breeze.
My experience as well. Still taught me to be more careful about mosquito bite prevention.

Be good if there was a vaccine but I'll wait for the trial results before celebrating. I've seen too many 'near breakthroughs' on a malaria vaccines over the last three decades to get too excited yet.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Born-Confused wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:Sure, but the pharmaceutical companies that stand to benefit from producing those shots in the millions exist in western countries...
Ummm - Sanofi-Pasteur is at the centre of this trial - this company is probably the largest company in the world devoted to production of vaccines - you probably got some of these before you left for Cambodia.........
The company has centres in different parts of the world for the purpose of trialling their vaccines to tackle diseases where they are most prevalent. So given that dengue is most prevalent in SEA, then their R & D site in Chachoengsao Thailand makes alot of sense.
That's probably coz you got a different serotype the second time. If you get another hit with a virus of the first, or now even the second....... then that could become a problem with hemorrhagic shock syndrome.
Just for clarity, you're second quote wasn't me. It's courteous to include a name is a later quote is someone other than the original quotee.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

As another one who has been through it I hope this works.

I wouldn't wish dengue on my worst enemy.
Born-Confused
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Born-Confused »

StroppyChops wrote:
Born-Confused wrote:
Just for clarity, you're second quote wasn't me. It's courteous to include a name is a later quote is someone other than the original quotee.
Is that not what I did? look again!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic