Cyanogenmod

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
walkjivefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Cyanogenmod

Post by walkjivefly »

Is anybody running CM on a Samsung Tab2 10.1 or S3 mini? I'd quite like to see what it looks like before taking the plunge and installing it on either of my devices. All the YouTube videos I've seen are installation and "woohoo it boots!" kind of things, not "here it is in everyday use"...
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Cyanogenmod

Post by General Mackevili »

walkjivefly wrote:Is anybody running CM on a Samsung Tab2 10.1
http://www.xda-developers.com/android/u ... ab-2-10-1/
walkjivefly wrote:Is anybody running CM on a Samsung S3 mini?
http://www.xda-developers.com/android/k ... siii-mini/

Hey there WJF. I've never used them, but hopefully these links might be somewhat helpful.... :hattip:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Canada

Post by FreeSocrates! »

I don't have any samsung devices, but I'm assuming it's the same.

Cyanogen is similar to "Stock Android", the only difference is there is not a bunch of bloatware added by the company that sells you your phone, and you can customize everything about it. (the way it looks and functions).

I think you should be able to backup your old ROM and Data before taking the plunge.

After having about 4 different Android Phones and always taking a keen interest in what my friends are using, Cyanogen Mod is the best Android Version I've seen, by a country mile.

Even better than stock Android.
The cedar roasted asparagus has good chew. I don't know how to enjoy it, so I'll Instagram it instead.
JBTrain
Expatriate

Post by JBTrain »

FreeSocrates! wrote:I don't have any samsung devices, but I'm assuming it's the same.

Cyanogen is similar to "Stock Android", the only difference is there is not a bunch of bloatware added by the company that sells you your phone, and you can customize everything about it. (the way it looks and functions).

I think you should be able to backup your old ROM and Data before taking the plunge.

After having about 4 different Android Phones and always taking a keen interest in what my friends are using, Cyanogen Mod is the best Android Version I've seen, by a country mile.

Even better than stock Android.
Well some would say that CM is itself bloatware compared to stock Android. Samsung doesn't run stock Android except on Google Play Edition phones.
Last edited by JBTrain on Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Using Tapatalk
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Canada

Post by FreeSocrates! »

I like CM mainly because I don't use many Apps, so I can disable and delete most of them. I can also customize every interface and status bar, etc.

Probably the only reason I like it more than Stock Android.

But Stock Android is my 2nd favourite.
The cedar roasted asparagus has good chew. I don't know how to enjoy it, so I'll Instagram it instead.
walkjivefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by walkjivefly »

Yesterday I took the plunge and slapped CM (10.1.3) on my Tab2. Some observations on the process and the result:

1. Don't bother using adb backup to backup your device before starting. Info on the Web is contradictory regarding whether this requires a rooted device to get a full backup. The later pages I found suggested root wasn't required for a full backup. Whether it is or not this is ridiculously SLOW and unreliable. I had about a dozen goes at it. Many hung on ebookdroid or Kindle apps or shared storage. None seemed to be even about the right size. 4 completed after 1-2 hours each and they were all different sizes. Not encouraging. I bought a new micro SD card to use instead.

2. CWM recovery installed in a few seconds and did a full backup to the new card in less than 20 minutes. Most of the time was spent calculating the md5sum.

3. Wipe/factory reset, install CM and Gapps took just a couple of minutes.

4. First boot in CM took a couple of minutes. Connected to the net and the tab got busy reinstalling my previous apps. It installed the same versions as before, not the most recent in each case. And it missed a few, like Dropbox. It didn't restore any accounts, eg facebook, I guess none of them were included in the app data sync process. But it did restore my Clash of Clans village so that's OK :-)

5. Nothing ventured, nothing gained I rebooted CWM and asked it to restore just data from the backup. Upon reboot the CM wheel spun, and spun, and spun some more. After 20 minutes I figured it wasn't coming back so redid steps 3 and 4.

6. Reinstalling ALL your apps over the air (twice) is detrimental to the health of your phone data plan!

7. I've never used stock Android so didn't know what to expect in terms of appearance and functionality. It looks OK and seems to work OK. There are a couple of differences from the TouchWizzified Samsung apps I've noticed and don't like so much.

8. I prefer the Samsung contacts, dialler and messaging apps. And the gallery. Oh well.

9. I prefer the Samsung home screen and don't like the permanently onscreen dock in the CM home screen . I prefer the Samsung soft buttons, status bar, notification bar and settings screens. Guess I'll get used to the CM ones in time.

10. I already miss the Samsung screenshot function. Play store here I come...

11. I won't be rushing to put CM on my phone until I've got everything sorted on my tab.

Next step: install Khmer Unicode fonts and get back to making Anki flashcards.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic