digital SLR cameras

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
clippy
Expatriate

digital SLR cameras

Post by clippy »

does anyone have any advice about DSLR cameras?

i have seen plenty of older models in shops second hand, around $250. do these things become obsolete quickly or become unreliable and break down?
Is it worth buying an older one, and then maybe having spare money to spend on lenses, or is it best to get the latest model?

whats a good camera to go for, ideally one that can record video as well as stills

do all lenses fit all cameras, or if i buy a Nikon for example, can i only fit Nikon lenses?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: digital SLR cameras

Post by phuketrichard »

u can find older cameras fairly easy, need to check the shutter count ( how many shots have been fired on it)
Camera mid level, best lens you can buy

BUYER BEWARE on used cameras.

Nikon / Cannon /Pentax /Fuji usually upgrade their lines every 18 months or so

IF i could unload all my nikon gear would buy the new Olympus OM d camera BUT

Lighter, more responsive, perfect for the shooting i do

Nikor lens's for Nikon, canon lens's for Canon but u can buy adapters.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
franzjaeger
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by franzjaeger »

For video, I'd say look for something that has a fast lens with a lo aperture, it will help you get that coveted film look more than anything, apart from a less than 3 year old camera, a pro model will last you longer but getting a brand new one will provide you with the latest features such as a Sony A7 or Panasonic GH4. Older ones could be a Canon 7d mark II, of course you could choose the new smaller SLR cameras, although lens variety is more limited in that segment but they have a good price point and still offer many pro features.
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

clippy wrote:does anyone have any advice about DSLR cameras?

i have seen plenty of older models in shops second hand, around $250. do these things become obsolete quickly or become unreliable and break down?
Is it worth buying an older one, and then maybe having spare money to spend on lenses, or is it best to get the latest model?

whats a good camera to go for, ideally one that can record video as well as stills

do all lenses fit all cameras, or if i buy a Nikon for example, can i only fit Nikon lenses?
The first question you need to ask yourself is whether you truly need inter-changeable lenses or not. If you are mostly doing street photography, the chances are you do not. There are some really good single lense (Zoom) cameras out there -- some being very compact. If you want to consider higher end, Sony makes some truly outstanding Point and Shoot Cameras : http://store.sony.com/professional-capa ... gHHbn6UsrK.

Fuji makes some good stuff too, and Canon and Nikon have offerings in every category.

If these are too pricy for you then forget about interchangeable lens cameras as well and just move down to more "consumer" Point and shoots rather than the higher end ones linked above.

If you want interchangeable lenses then you have to choose between traditional DSLRs or Mirrorless. The advantages of mirrorless is that they do not use mirrors to send light to the sensors and thus are much smallerand lighter than traditional DSLRs. I personally hate mirrorless as they typically do not include optical viewfinders (or as an expensive option). I am "old school" and like to compose my shots with camera held to eye rather than looking at a screen on the back of the camera. This helps reduce camera shake (which results in image blur) a lot. I also find the handling and balance of mirrorless cameras to be problematic when larger lenses are attached to such smaller cameras.

That said --- Mirrorless cameras are doing very well in the market. Olympus and Sony are two names to look at there.

For full DSLR kit --- Nikon and Canon probably are the safest (not necessarily best) choices.

And no, lenses are usually not interchangeable across brands, so if you are going that route, you really need to think about what lenses you need and how much they will cost. You will also need some sort of dry cabinet to store your camera in --- as lenses can grow fungus easily in this humid climate if not stored properly.

Cheers,

RD
Taxi, we'd rather walk. Huddle a doorway with the rain dogs
The Rum pours strong and thin. Beat out the dustman with the Rain Dogs;
franzjaeger
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by franzjaeger »

A friend of mine has an SLR, with interchangeable lenses, bought it for $300 I think, it's tiny but shoots video like much bigger models, I am really impressed with the results. Don't remember which brand, but who gives a fuck, it's the man and not the machine that makes for interesting pictures.
clippy
Expatriate

Post by clippy »

i do need interchangeable lenses, i want to be able to photograph interiors and rooms, and for that i will need a wide angle lens. and at other times i'll probably want a zoom lens

i think i'll get one of the nikon or canon entry level SLRs

something like http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=hqp_dslrund ... B003ZYF3LO
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

go Nikon D5200

Great little starting dslr
the new nikor 18-200 vr lens ( the one i carry 95% of the time) its not cheap thou
and the Tokina 11-16 wide angle zoom
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/digital ... /chart.htm

I am partial to Nikons but thats cause i have been using them for over 48 years :-)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Mrs S and I were walking the camera shop floor in MBK Centre in BKK last night - some really cool toys including a professional size filming drone with fully articulated gimbal (sp?) - I drooled. Nikon definitely seemed to be the make of choice and much more variety over Canon. I quickly realised my new (to me) EOS 400d is sadly obsolete when I looked for accessories for it. I'm glad the lenses don't date as quickly.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
franzjaeger
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by franzjaeger »

Coolest new little camera for film making is probably the Black Magic Pocket camera, interchangeable lenses, uncompressed video, all in a very small yet still affordable package.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/9 ... amera.html
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

franzjaeger wrote:Coolest new little camera for film making is probably the Black Magic Pocket camera, interchangeable lenses, uncompressed video, all in a very small yet still affordable package.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/9 ... amera.html
I am not much of a video guy but that looks like a cool product?

Have you ever had any photography kit delivered to Cambodia (BHPhoto or otherwise)?
Taxi, we'd rather walk. Huddle a doorway with the rain dogs
The Rum pours strong and thin. Beat out the dustman with the Rain Dogs;
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic