Advice for anyone looking for good cheap home internet

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Advice for anyone looking for good cheap home internet

Post by xandreu »

This will probably be useless information for the vast majority of you. It's only for people who (like me) struggle with good, reliable home internet connections.

After living in PP for several years relying either on the terrible wifi that is pre-installed in my building by the owners (1-2mbps if you want to use it at 3am, non-existent at other times) or 4G type services for my home internet - namely Smart@home, ($18 per month for supposedly 10mbps) plus Cellcard ($8 per month for speeds that go up and down quicker than a whore's ass) plus Metfone tethering off my phone which does seem to have been the most reliable and fastest but still not perfect, and there is no unlimited download option so can work out to be quite expensive - $20 per month for 30GB - If you use the internet for work as I do, 30GB doesn't last long.

I used all three because none of them are 100% reliable and my work relies on a stable connection at all times. So for the last few years I have been paying $18 (smart) + $8 (cellcard) + $20 (Metfone) = $46 per month for speeds on a good day of about 8-10Mbps.

I have tried looking at more permanent solutions (my own fibre connection) such as OpenNet for example, but their speeds are similar to Smart@home (about 10Mbps) for about the same price, (or they now have 20Mbps for $39). Other home internet services that I have looked at are either eye-wateringly expensive or terribly slow speeds (10mbps on average)

After sitting in a coffee shop a few days ago and being very surprised at the speed of their internet (100mbps+) I did a few traceroutes and discovered that they use a company called Ezecom. Never heard of them but I checked their website and they claimed to offer 50Mbps for $29 per month / 100Mbps for $49 / 150Mbps for $69.

50Mbps is perfect for me and $29 per month is more than reasonable. Called them up on Monday, got it installed Wednesday and it's changed my life. It's only been a couple of days so I hope I'm not tempting fate but very happy with it, especially after several years of the stress of dealing with Smart / Cellcard and Metfone.

I pay for 50Mbps but every time I do a speedtest, I regularly get 80-90Mbps and upload is similar speeds. I guess no-one else in my area uses them.

Very, very recommended. :clap:
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Advice for anyone looking for good cheap home internet

Post by Jerry Atrick »

xandreu wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:11 pm

After living in PP for several years I did a few traceroutes and discovered that they use a company called Ezecom. Never heard of them :
The OG ISP, really very surprising you never heard of them before

I believe most of the other Khmer ISP piggyback upon Ezecom
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

FWIW When I do speed tests on my supposed 6Mbps Opennet fibre connection, I get close to 20Mbps down/up. Both locally and internationally.

Right now:

Local: https://www.speedtest.net/result/11666398339

International: https://www.speedtest.net/result/11666404668
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

I have the 20 M Opennet plan and am very satisfied with speed and stability
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Ezecom known to be the best provider in Cambodia, apparently bought out by the Chinese sometime back. Friend of mine did a large installation on a building, obviously for the online gambling, I say this has not speculation due to when the new law came out stopping online gambling, a Khmer friend and his sister were finished from their $,600 and $,500 per month jobs.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

I have been using Metfone through my phone for years. To be honest they never failed me. I spend about 5-7$ a month. If you use it in Phnom Penh with a recent phone with the latest wifi protocol on board I think it's the easiest option with speeds generally exceeding the local wifi.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Ezecom were pretty much the first ISP in the kingdom. I remember when they ran ads in the Bayon Pearnik of 2MB lines for....$250! Competition has luckily been fierce and they're more business oriented now, but good to see their prices are way better than before.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
paul2d
Expatriate
Canada

Post by paul2d »

Keep your eyes open for Elon Musk's SpaceX Starlink satellite internet system: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/29/elon-musk-.html

It is in beta in Northern US, Canada, and some European countries.

Global roll out expected later this year.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I've done quite a lot of research into how to get good, fast, reliable and affordable home internet on PP since I moved here several years ago.

Now that I've found and posted about Ezecom, it seems the world and his wife knows about them.

**Note to self** Really must brush up on those research skills a little more....
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

timmydownawell wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:42 pm FWIW When I do speed tests on my supposed 6Mbps Opennet fibre connection, I get close to 20Mbps down/up. Both locally and internationally.

Right now:

Local: https://www.speedtest.net/result/11666398339

International: https://www.speedtest.net/result/11666404668
All good things must come to an end I guess. I noticed my speed had dropped to about 12Mbps last week. It turns out Opennet upgraded speeds on fibre plans. I doing so they have finally correctly configured my speed. I was technically on 10Mbps plan but getting 20, and now "upgraded" to 12Mbps which is what I'm now getting. Was nice while it lasted.

Anyway these are the speed upgrades:

EDIT: I had thought my plan was previously was 6Mbps, probably was five years ago but they had upgraded to 7 then 10, but was still actually hitting 20Mbps.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic