Andoid tablets

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
Flexnez
Expatriate
Norway

Andoid tablets

Post by Flexnez »

My old iPad has finally died, and I need find a replacement. A new 32 GB IPad Air will set me back 600 US$, so I'm considering to go for an Android tablet instead. I would be interested to hear the experiences other forum member have with Android tablets. What would I get for around 300 US$ and where is a good place to buy in Phnom Penh? I primarily use a tablet to read online magazines, and browse websites and forums like this one.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Andoid tablets

Post by StroppyChops »

We had 7" Samsung Galaxy Tabs when they were first released in Australia (pre Apple tanty) and recommend either size formats, although the genuine 10" is getting out of your budget. Last time we were in Cambodge we bought Mrs Stroppy an Asus Fonepad for $300 (what's that other mall complex near GSM?) and were so impressed we bought me one back in Oz. Hard to find now but worth looking for, the last of the stock should have KitKat.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Canada

Post by FreeSocrates! »

I have a Nexus 7, I dunno if you can find one here as I bought it in Thailand. But maybe with Aeon Mall opening soon you'll be able to find any tablet in the world. I'd imagine the chances go up.

Very happy with it, don't use it as much as I should in terms of the amount of money I spent on it.

I think it was $360 for a top of the line model (wifi + celluar and 32 GB, I think it also has a Quad 4 processor, and a not so great camera).

I'm also an immigrant from iOS to Android.

I love Android, but don't love the bloatware that comes with it most of the time.

I think for best value / quality ratio you should look at Samsung (though I hate the bloatware and if you hate it too just make sure you pick something that can be rooted and changed)

Luckily there is Cyanogen Mod - which is on my phone and will be on my tablet soon. To me I've been through about 4 Android OSes and Cyanogen Mod is the best version, even better than Stock Android.

I like the aluminium and hardware design of Apple products but that's about it (IMO they do the best hardware design) - and I don't like being handcuffed to the iTunes store. There are Mobile Apps I like that are not possible to put on a Apple Mobile product because of their App Inquisition Panel.

I've tried alot of software in the last few months, and Android for Mobile, and MacOSx for Desktop are IMO the 2 best. (Ubuntu is actually IMO the best desktop software but all the Apps for Linux suck except of course the Android software as it's built on the Linux Kernal)
The cedar roasted asparagus has good chew. I don't know how to enjoy it, so I'll Instagram it instead.
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

I have a nexus 7. Also use CyanogenMod rom. It's a great little piece of hardware. I couldn't see myself using a laptop again. Not sure what they are worth in Cambodia but in Australia the 32gb WiFi ranges from $250-$300
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

I did find that Google Play Books is not available in KH, you'll be able to access anything currently in your account but nothing new that's legit. Anyone else found this, have a workaround?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

I'll save some time - what sort of a stupid Aussie has legit content? Who would ask such a question? Why is SC just so good looking? - let's consider the mockery mocked, and move on!
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

StroppyChops wrote:I did find that Google Play Books is not available in KH, you'll be able to access anything currently in your account but nothing new that's legit. Anyone else found this, have a workaround?
I use a dns provider that lets me change my Google play store location easily. Otherwise use a vpn. I'm sure hola will do this for free.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

I'm late to this conversation but I had the samsung 10.1. Great tablet.

I just couldn't get over carrying it around everywhere.

It is now my daughters YouTube device.
Flexnez
Expatriate
Norway

Post by Flexnez »

Thanks for all your feedback, will check out both Asus and Nexus!
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

Asus make the nexus 7
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic