Koompi. Cambodia's first localy made laptop to sell for $369.

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Koompi. Cambodia's first localy made laptop to sell for $369.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Image Southeast Asia Globe

Launch of Cambodia’s first laptop can inspire future generations, says founder

By: Robin Spiess
September 17, 2018
A team of Cambodian engineers are launching the Kingdom’s first homegrown laptop, and the new product promises to be as affordable as it is high-tech
With 200 laptops already preordered, the Koompi project will see more than 2,000 units go on sale beginning 10 October. As the most expensive Koompi laptop is priced at $369, Rithy and his fellow engineers will be making under $50 in profit per laptop sold – and plan to reinvest all profits back into the company.
Most notably, each laptop runs on a Linux operating system, which is open-source and therefore freely distributable.

Full article http://sea-globe.com/koompi-cambodias-first-laptop/
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: Koompi.Cambodia's first localy made laptop to sell for $369.

Post by that genius »

Acers sell for less than $300
bvanfossen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bvanfossen »

That's good news, good for Cambodia. I need a new laptop and may order one after I read the specs

[quotphotoe="that genius" post_id=281889 time=1537343334 user_id=10264]
Acers sell for less than $300
[/quote]

The article title isn't about "whose laptop is the cheapest"
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

This "news" surface several years ago and it was pointed out that the laptops were actually made in China and just finalised in Cambodia.

Kudos to the guy for being enterprising but I doubt the quality or after sales service.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

You may choose not to buy one when you find out that Koompi means Bible.
You’ll be converted to Christianity before the installation files have finished loading.

Actually, Koompi can mean any ‘book of knowledge’ but I have only ever heard it used to refer to the Bible.

fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

khmerhamster wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:48 pm You may choose not to buy one when you find out that Koompi means Bible.
Yes, thank you. I was hoping it would be an anagram for Kopimi (double-oh-tho-d'oh) and that they would open source the schematics later to promote the open source element of it in a bid to attract young entrepreneurial Cambodians ready to fork out $369 on an experiment that could benefit them in electrical engineering and software development related university studies.

But I guess I was wrong, I guess they had some sort of goodwill opportunity and blew it to be another laptop competitor when other manufacturers are literally running out of arguments to make them anymore.

A Christian NGO laptop manufacturer is not something I would embrace, but maybe they can install TempleOS so their customers can talk with God?

epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Koompi. Cambodia's first localy made laptop to sell for $369.

Post by epidemiks »

I don't think they chose the name for any religious connotations.
We were sitting in the office next few hours without any result. But suddenly, everything changed. We started new discussion from statement that laptop is the window to new skills and knowledge. And what was the first source of information in your childhood? Books.

Books are helping us to improve language skills. Reading develops imagination and creativity, teaches about different topics. So we came to Koompi. It’s Cambodian word, which can be translated as book of knowledge.
“Brand name. What is Koompi?”
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic