Siem Reap: Internet Speed and Electricity Stability

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
DigitalNomader
Tourist

Siem Reap: Internet Speed and Electricity Stability

Post by DigitalNomader »

Hi

Considering moving to Siem Reap for 3-6 months (~June to end of year). I work online 6 days a week (about 30 hours/week). I need 100% stable internet fast enough for live video steaming (ideally at least 10mbps down/4up).

Questions:

1. Can I find 100% stable internet? Is it via SIM card and/or a global WiFi device like skyroam?

2. How stable is electricity? I can use powerbanks and battery for my tablet and light but I’d prefer to have regular access to electricity and only run 100% battery when required.

Thank you!
DN
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Re: Siem Reap: Internet Speed and Electricity Stability

Post by siliconlife »

DigitalNomader wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:01 am Hi

Considering moving to Siem Reap for 3-6 months (~June to end of year). I work online 6 days a week (about 30 hours/week). I need 100% stable internet fast enough for live video steaming (ideally at least 10mbps down/4up).

Questions:

1. Can I find 100% stable internet? Is it via SIM card and/or a global WiFi device like skyroam?

2. How stable is electricity? I can use powerbanks and battery for my tablet and light but I’d prefer to have regular access to electricity and only run 100% battery when required.

Thank you!
DN
Great Internet can be found - I recommend SINet - very stable, very fast, and a great response team if you ever have problems. Power can be a problem as power cuts here can often last hours, or even whole days, and they can also tend to be frequent ie power flickering off and on. It's best to find a place with a generator, but of course that is more expensive, rent-wise. I use a UPS connected to my router/modem, and a light with a rechargeable battery so it doesn't go off during powercuts, AND my landlord has a generator. Even with generators, the landlord has to make sure they're well-maintained etc... There's such a demand for power in Siem Reap that it causes problems. As opposed to Battambang where I almost never had power cuts, and when we did we were warned by the authorities well in advance.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic