Ubud scraps

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Ubud scraps

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

A place to drop the bits and pieces of Ubudian life.

A building is going up opposite to where I live and through a lot of hand waving or shouting I’ve got to know some construction workers as they spend half their day hanging around doing nothing in particular on the building site with the other half of the day filled with doing a bit less than that. It seems they're all retired comics or performers as they're constantly putting each other into fits of laughter or taking the piss. I've no idea how the building has progressed at all as there's rarely a hammer, saw, or piece of machinery heard.

Yesterday saw Ubud's highrise entertainers sitting out a period of rain under sheets of plywood. I sent up a pack of cigarettes for them to help pass the time which was followed by an invitation to come over and join them. I declined as I've got all the grace of a giraffe going to drink if ever required to climb anything, let alone attempting to scale a series of wet bamboo poles that appear to be held up by nothing much more than luck.

This afternoon the owner of my guesthouse started to change out part of the filter system used for the Koi pond on the balcony. There must have been some difficulty with the repairs as the guys downed tools and left not long after pulling it all apart, leaving the Koi reduced to a slim few inches of water remaining in the bottom of the pond.

Gusti,the guesthouse owner, is a big guy just like the other six or so family members occupying the ground floor. Their days consist mainly of sitting around making various types of baskets and filling them with flowers, fruit, rice and incense while they eat. The completed baskets and religious offerings are then sold to neighbors or used for the endless ceremonies and cremations that happen here. There’s no other group of people I know who dedicate so much time, effort, interest, and money to support their religious beliefs. The servicing of balinese gods and the deceased is endless.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Ubud scraps

Post by Doc67 »

Do you have a motorbike there and, if so, is that a necessity?
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Doc67 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:10 pm Do you have a motorbike there and, if so, is that a necessity?
I don't use a motorbike as everything I need is within walking distance, and there's Grab guys hanging around or riding past regularly if I need. I negotiated a monthly hire the other day for a friend to use a motorbike as he's staying about 5kms out which cost him $US65.

Ubud centre is pretty compact with everything one might need for a stay outside your door.

Let me know if you're thinking about coming, Doc, I'll give you the day (and night) tour.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:41 pm
Doc67 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:10 pm Do you have a motorbike there and, if so, is that a necessity?
I don't use a motorbike as everything I need is within walking distance, and there's Grab guys hanging around or riding past regularly if I need. I negotiated a monthly hire the other day for a friend to use a motorbike as he's staying about 5kms out which cost him $US65.

Ubud centre is pretty compact with everything one might need for a stay outside your door.

Let me know if you're thinking about coming, Doc, I'll give you the day (and night) tour.
I am thinking about visiting Bali later this year, maybe in September. It might provide a refuge from the heat in PP from March to June next year. If I do visit I'll be picking your brains well in advance!
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

What about the beach ?
Ubud, although fresher because it's higher, is not close to the beach, which is a big reason to hit Bali, Indonesia, or even the whole SE Asia area for that matter.

How often do you go to the sea ?
Still enjoy it ?

Also, the good side about Bali's rooftops :
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

About 30 videos there about Bali's rooftops sessions : https://www.youtube.com/@TheBaliRooftop
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Ghostwriter wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:57 pm What about the beach ?
Ubud, although fresher because it's higher, is not close to the beach, which is a big reason to hit Bali, Indonesia, or even the whole SE Asia area for that matter.

How often do you go to the sea ?
Still enjoy it ?
I’ve spent a large portion of my 57 years traveling and living in Asia including years living on beaches from Goa to Timor and many in between, but for the moment it seems I'm not in a beach phase. (I’ll have to wait for Aquarius to rise again perhaps.)

I spent a couple of months last year on the relatively less touristed beaches of Lombok (and Gillis) to be reminded how much I still love the beach, but I guess like everything else in life there are compromises and trade-offs to be made.

Talking with a well-travelled friend last night we both agreed that no place is going to serve you perfectly - it won’t have everything you want and there will have to be be some form of settlement to be made. No, sadly, you don’t come to Ubud for the beaches although I wish you did.

I enjoy Ubud for the cost of living, a slightly cooler climate, it being less trashy than other parts of Bali, the live music and dining options when the mood takes me, the close proximity to Bali’s eastern port for further Indonesian island travel, and I guess the relationship I’ve developed with the place over the decades warms me somewhat - it seems the right place again for now at least.

But while you may not come to Ubud for the sand and surf, it’s not far away with Keramas beach maybe 30 minutes drive and the beaches around Padangbai about45 minutes which isn't an unbearable distance should one have to get a bit salty.

For me, I don't doubt there'll be semi-regular trips back to Lombok for its beaches as they’re relatively close and in my opinion far superior to Bali’s, or anywhere else in my humble opinion.

Perhaps I'll surf the desperation in some of the bars here, that's always an endless ride.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:41 pm (and night) tour.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Ubud is a pretty special place. And surprisingly cheap food, even compared to elsewhere in SE Asia. Craziest thing happened when we went into the Monkey Forest. We saw blood spatters on the sidewalk at some point, and we followed the blood drops for a few minutes, and it led us to a little clinic they have there with the door open, and there's some bloodied Asian tourist who had been viciously attacked. Nasty little buggers.

On a higher note, here is us back in February on one of those tours where we went zip-lining in one of the valleys:

One of my favorite places without a beach.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

General Mackevili wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:34 am

On a higher note, here is us back in February ..

Update your aviator then , you had ages to buy a vowel on wheel of fortune
Time for a change , show your sweet side ..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic