Airlines Rant

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Airlines Rant

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Since the Great Sickening I've found airlines have become worse than I can ever remember. Price, customer service, delays, cancellations...I haven't had one flight from the last ten which hasn't had some form of considerable inconvenience attached to it, with my first leg to Nepal tomorrow morning now having just been delayed by hours meaning a departure time of 4.45 am (estimated!)

The airlines (which operate into or out of Australia, at least) appear to be immune to any scrutiny or penalty for their slipshod operation and price gouging, leaving the consumer to wear cancellations, 30% price increases (if you're lucky) and the frustrating uncertainty of never knowing if you're going to miss your next connection resulting in one lost fare and the purchase of another.

Our national carrier here in Australia posted a record $2.6B profit this year after receiving $2.7B from the Australian government during Covid - taxpayer money. The Australian Government is also not permitting other international carriers to operate any more flights than they do which is causing ticket prices to remain high through lack of competition - although Qantas our national carrier will tell you It's COVID, it's the Ukraine war driving aviation fuel costs higher, it's high demand until we get our entire fleet back in the air...and on.

The airline industry is currently the most expensive, unreliable, frustrating experience anyone can have in Australia - with no change in sight due to it apparently occupying some hallowed business ground that shall not be challenged or scrutinized.

I want to see strict penalties put in place for the airlines if they delay or cancel, and if the government won't allow fair competition, put price caps in place depending on the region of the world you're flying into.

Anyone else fed up with airlines?
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Airlines Rant

Post by Alex »

I think the Climate Change Panic Squad can't allow that things go back to "normal" (pre-Covid) with regards to air travel, ever again. It was fun while it lasted.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

All part of the great reset.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

I was concerned about transit time regarding my last flight w/ Asiana Airlines and I have to say they are very organized. Efficient. 1 of my pet peeves is when they serve food, it takes forever for them to remove the trays and a bitch to use the toilet. How to naviage that lol

anyway even with tray removal, they were efficient and quick. My return flight was delayed 40 minutes but had a 3 hour layover so wasn't an issue but agree there were so many problems and concerns when flying.
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

No doubt airlines have taken a big hit during the pandemic. Many airlines survived with governments/debtors helping out.

Now they are making up many times what they lost before and service is far from beeing at the level before. Delays with no compensation, long queues at checkin, passport or immigration point, loads of luggage is lost or not handled in time and no consequences for such bad development.^Cartel like behaviour instead of competition has become the norm.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I cant really complain about it, besides of the price. Had my AMS-XIA flight cancelled 3 weeks ago becasue of some tyfoon overthere, you cant change that.
And the high prices: All the airlines, but also a lot other bussiness have digged y miles deep hole with debts. And they are filling that hole now with new money and benefits.
Other option is ofcourse: drive to Nepal. No BS with airlines. Chinese border is open for overlander-turists now !!
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Airline voucher, comfy lounge, wifi...overnight in the airport could be worse.

The bar/cafe/restaurant in the International Departure lounge no longer accepts cash signaling the inching forward of a cashless society.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:30 pm The airline industry is currently the most expensive, unreliable, frustrating experience anyone can have in Australia - with no change in sight due to it apparently occupying some hallowed business ground that shall not be challenged or scrutinized.

I want to see strict penalties put in place for the airlines if they delay or cancel, and if the government won't allow fair competition, put price caps in place depending on the region of the world you're flying into.

Anyone else fed up with airlines?
Yeah. Moi. The industry as a whole has made air travel a truly unappealing, but often necessary, prospect.

The EU imposed directive 261 (or some number close to that). €250~€600 compensation per passenger for accountable delays. As a consequence, airlines make great efforts to ensure that these delays don’t happen. That is, great efforts to ensure that they aren’t held accountable when the delays do happen, rather than properly resolving the underlying causes of ongoing delays. Staff shortages, for instance. Net result is an increase in paperwork for us, the Crews, to ensure that when it goes horribly wrong, we can point the finger at someone, anyone, else.

Put into context, that compensation figure during holiday season can seriously wipe out profits for some operators. A net profit of €3,000 becoming a penalty in excess of €45,000. Yet, as noted, some airlines manage to turn decent profits.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic