Support Local Tourism - Visit the Kratie Dolphins

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Support Local Tourism - Visit the Kratie Dolphins

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Come visit Kratie !
Support the local economy. Cambodia's natural tourist attractions are feeling the pinch with the borders closed to international visitors. But if you are living in Cambodia, now is the perfect time to explore the country and to enjoy the peace and quiet before the tourists come back.

Tourists Urged to Visit Kratie’s Irrawaddy Dolphins
AKP Phnom Penh, June 30, 2020 --
Both national and foreign tourists have been urged to visit Irrawaddy dolphins in Kratie province, among other local tourism destinations.

Considered as an endangered species throughout Asia, dolphins inhabit along the Mekong River in Kratie province and the freshwater dolphin areas are the most attractive tourism landscape in the province, attracting sights of tourists who pass by the province.

Mr. Chan Sokunthy, Director of Kratie Provincial Tourism Department, said on June 30 that tourists can enjoy the activities of freshwater dolphins’ swimming from the banks of river or get on the tour boats to be close to the swimming area of dolphins.

“There are many iconic tourism destinations in the province, both cultural and natural, but the dolphin areas (Anlong Trey Psot Kampi in Khmer) is the most attractive tourism destination,” Mr. Sokunthy said in a press conference held at the Office of the Council of Ministers.

He called on tourists, particularly domestic tourists to visit Kratie province, mainly to witness the presence of endangered Irrawaddy dolphins in the Mekong River.
AKP
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Re: Support Local Tourism - Visit the Kratie Dolphins

Post by truffledog »

Let the dolfins recover by themselves and watch a TV documentary about them as long as they are endangered spieces. Any kind of tourism will only harm them.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

They're a pretty resilient and resourceful bunch, those dolphins. So long as visitors don't damage the habitat, it is easy enough for the dolphins and tourists to co-exist. I was lucky enough to visit a dolphin sanctuary a couple of years ago, where tourists could come to see them. The dolphins swooping amongst the boats, cresting in front of the bow, was a sight to behold. One of my greatest memories. All the boats and captains were licensed. At last point of checking, the dolphin pop. at that particular sanctuary was up & growing healthily. I hope Kratie can do the same.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

truffledog wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:24 pm Let the dolfins recover by themselves and watch a TV documentary about them as long as they are endangered spieces. Any kind of tourism will only harm them.
The problem is that a lot of local fishermen and their families rely on the (very small and restricted ) tourism that the dolphins bring. It's not ideal, but it means that local communities are invested in protecting the dolphins. When outsiders come in to the dolphin feeding area to fish they are chased off by locals.
I've been up there to Kratie- Kampi a few times, and the dolphin-watching is really a small scale tourism business which employs small boats only, and the fishermen are respectful of the dolphins, because they don't want to scare them off. The most boats I've seen at one time out there over the last 12 years or so, were maybe 6-8 boats with 4-5 people in peak season, scattered over a large area of the Mekong. The river is really wide there and is full of islands so 6-8 boats are a relatively small nuisance. Of course, it would be better to leave the dolphins in peace, but someone has to pay for that.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:52 pm
truffledog wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:24 pm Let the dolfins recover by themselves and watch a TV documentary about them as long as they are endangered spieces. Any kind of tourism will only harm them.
The problem is that a lot of local fishermen and their families rely on the (very small and restricted ) tourism that the dolphins bring. It's not ideal, but it means that local communities are invested in protecting the dolphins. When outsiders come in to the dolphin feeding area to fish they are chased off by locals.
I've been up there to Kratie- Kampi a few times, and the dolphin-watching is really a small scale tourism business which employs small boats only, and the fishermen are respectful of the dolphins, because they don't want to scare them off. The most boats I've seen at one time out there over the last 12 years or so, were maybe 6-8 boats with 4-5 people in peak season, scattered over a large area of the Mekong. The river is really wide there and is full of islands so 6-8 boats are a relatively small nuisance. Of course, it would be better to leave the dolphins in peace, but someone has to pay for that.
I completely agree that the local fishermen and their families depend on the dolfin business, some may even have stopped dynamite fishing which was a common practice before the tourist business arrived. So tourism may also have a good side. It just needs to put the dolfins interests first when talking about an endagared species and conservation of nature. But thats not the case IMHO.

There is already a lot of business which dont harm/disturb the dolfins. Accomodation, renting motorbikes, tuk tuk fees, food and drinks, viewing platforms, parking fees, wooden and plastic souvenirs all bring a lot of money to the locals (not enough?).

But I dont see how chasing dolfins with a motor boat is of any good to the animals (ok the engine is turned off once close to the dolfins) Most boats I have seen had just 2 people on board whilst having place for 8-10. Just to make more bucks and share the rides (polluting double and triple) instead of preserving nature. Not ideal when visiting an area that should be focussing on conservation.

The boat trips are just good to the selfish tourists who want to be as close as possible and take picture/videos to feed the socials. This desire will ultimately contribute to their end. Spotting the dolfins from the river bank seems not enough for most visitors. Futher promoting the business will ultimately lead to large groups arriving in dedicated tour busses with devastating impact. In the short run some people wíll get rich(er), in the longterm the dolfins are doomed if this should happen. And it probably will considering that the road to Kratie has been improved a lot taking a lot less time to get there and away.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic