Vietnam already talking about international flights

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Vietnam already talking about international flights

Post by ExPenhMan »

That didn't take long. All the VN airlines have just substantially increased their flights on domestic routes. Then on Tuesday, The Saigon Times reported:
The Civil Aviation Authority of Vietnam (CAAV) on May 4 proposed the Ministry of Transport remove social distancing measures on aircraft and increase the number of domestic flights.
https://english.thesaigontimes.vn/76515 ... lanes.html

Then today, Viet Nam News reported:
Việt Nam’s Minister of Transport Nguyễn Văn Thể has called for the resumption of international flights in and out of the country.
No targets were mentioned, however:
At the briefing, Minister of Transport Nguyễn Văn Thể directed the Department of Transport and CAAV to propose the restoration of a number of international flights with very limited frequency, giving priority to experts and officials, while ensuring strict control of anti-pandemic measures as well as social distancing.
https://vietnamnews.vn/economy/716331/m ... ights.html

I was very optimistic that VN's airlines would be damned near first out the door, maybe in June to mid-June for international flights. And I never expected to hear anything until late May. But this is even better than I could have guessed. Of course, they would have to arrange agreements with other SEAsian destinations, maybe even Europe. Not to mention VN would have to drop the 14-day quarantine, otherwise, I'm not going nor will anyone else.

So, Viet Nam is the first one to throw its cards on the table. Let's see who follows.
theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Re: Vietnam already talking about international flights

Post by theKid »

I don’t see quarantine requirements being eased for arrivals from countries that still have significant number of cases. They wouldn’t risk a second wave.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

There was an (unofficial) announcement that flights to Cambodia and Laos will not resume before October.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

hanno wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 3:40 pm There was an (unofficial) announcement that flights to Cambodia and Laos will not resume before October.
That won't stop the Cambodian airlines from restarting their routes, will it?

VN can't object to Cambodia, they have less than half of VN's infections (122 / 271) and are one of the only countries, like VN, that have zero deaths.

I can't see them operating to the UK anytime soon though, we are death central of Europe.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Doc67 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:19 pm
hanno wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 3:40 pm There was an (unofficial) announcement that flights to Cambodia and Laos will not resume before October.

VN can't object to Cambodia, they have less than half of VN's infections (122 / 271) and are one of the only countries, like VN, that have zero deaths.

I can't see them operating to the UK anytime soon though, we are death central of Europe.
The problem is, no one believes the Cambodian numbers.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Kammekor wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:30 pm

You beat me to it.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kammekor wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:30 pm

Sure, that what the received wisdom a month or so ago, but they couldn't hide thousands of deaths and chaotic hospitals over-run with sick people. But there is no evidence of that happening. I am beginning to believe the demographics make Cambodia naturally immune

Cambodia 2020
Total population Millions 16.7 Million
Population aged 0–14 (%) 30.9
Population aged 15–64 (%) 64.2
Population aged 65+ 4.9

Italy 2018

0-14 years: 13.6%
15-24 years: 9.61%
25-54 years: 41.82%
55-64 years: 13.29%
65 years and over: 21.69%
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

I am currently in Cambodia, and I know the health system is not overwhelmed.

But if you claim 'no cases' on one hand, and cases are detected on international flights abroad (China), you're not considered case free I guess.
theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Post by theKid »

Doesn’t matter whether the official case figures in Cambodia are believable or not. It’s about any country letting in arrivals from a country that still has infections. Ask yourself if it would be wise to do that. They won’t just simply open up.
Currently those Asian destinations that still allow inbound flights require mandatory quarantine EVEN if you test negative upon arrival (all arrivals are tested). I don’t see that changing anytime soon.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

In your business Hanno I guess you're in a good position to see ahead in terms of recovery with forward bookings. Let us know when you see any signs of future confidence even if it's a few months down the line.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic