Phnom Penh to Kampot

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Phnom Penh to Kampot

Post by atst »

Has the road got any better these last few months or am I better off taking the road vier Kep
Traveling by motorcycle
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Phnom Penh to Kampot

Post by Freightdog »

I drove it a few weeks ago, in a Pajero.
Lack of rain meant visibility was frequently low due to dust.
NR3 and 41
The road ‘works’ seemed never ending. I remember seeing a couple of folk wondering how they were going to get off the forecourt of one fuel station.
And then it got worse...
I only drove the route once before, last year, and subjectively, it’s unchanged. Rough, with a capital fooked. Less a road, more like an absence of anything else.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:20 pm Less a road, more like an absence of anything else.
Still "this is where the road used to be before it washed away"? Good grief.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

No, it's much better now than before.

Take 41, and it's perfect surface until km 93, then gravel for 3k to road 3 for the last 20km into kampot.

Road 3 is basically graded dirt for the final 20km into kampot, but it's at least smooth now compared to previously.

I did it three days ago on a roadbike in just over two hours.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:49 pm No, it's much better now than before.

Take 41, and it's perfect surface until km 93, then gravel for 3k to road 3 for the last 20km into kampot.

Road 3 is basically graded dirt for the final 20km into kampot, but it's at least smooth now compared to previously.

I did it three days ago on a roadbike in just over two hours.
Thanks did as you said pretty accurate took me over an hour from Riverside to road 41 , 41 is a good ride with mountain views rd3 much smoother but the dust is same cough cough
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Smoothness changes pretty much weekly, and it also depends if it's been raining or not. ImageImage
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

I'm thinking about going back Phnom Penh vier Kep road 31 then 2 I'll miss the dust or mud and the hour of traffic from end of 41 to river side
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

The first few out of Kep are slightly worse, but after that it's more pleasant, albeit a tiny bit longer.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:46 pm Smoothness changes pretty much weekly, and it also depends if it's been raining or not. ImageImage
Yeah I drove it yesterday and it wasn't wet , the dust was horrendous. Not sure which would be worse wet or dry, people still drive like assholes
one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

CT mini bus on the 5th took 3.5hrs out past airport in PP onto the top of HW41 - good condition all the way - HW3 a lot better than a few months ago mostly finished making it wider down the Kampot end althoug still dirt. ( I went up the way early June all the way HW3 in a Highlander ... the road is underconstrucation nearly all the way until the taxi took a turn to the right to get onto that big wide 3 lane road into PP.)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic