"I travelled solo, and ... "

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
k*rm*geddon
Expatriate
New Zealand

"I travelled solo, and ... "

Post by k*rm*geddon »

MY 99 CENT KINDLE: ... 1974 TRAVEL IN THAILAND, CAMBODIA AND SOUTH VIETNAM : http://www.amazon.co.uk/EXPLAINING-CAMB ... B00L0LC8TO
Paulo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: "I travelled solo, and ... "

Post by Paulo »

Some people just weren't cut out for life on the road. Lloyd Christmas. 1994.

She might have been better off with a traveling companion or different ones on different legs of the journey. Plenty available at...

http://www.travel-buddies.com
https://www.triptogether.com
https://www.yourtravelmates.com

You see many paired travelers around town looking like bookends. Birds of a feather I call them. Same shorts, sandals, packs and shirts. I've had good times traveling alone, but with a friend is better.

She must have had secret anxieties before she left because the truth is no matter where you go, there you are.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

There is a old saying,,,, He who travels fastest always travels alone.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

I went traveling around the world when I was 19, so I can relate to this feeling of loneliness. But it makes you grow up. You have to make new networks and new friends. It's not easy.
Some people are not cut out for this. I have friends who returned home after a month or two because the traveling lifestyle was not a good fit. No worries, at least you went to check out the adventure. :thumb: Our needs are all different and it's not a competition.

Also, I want to say that for me traveling alone for a couple of years meant that I met lifelong friends from all over the globe. You get lonely, but you also meet some amazing people.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

Some people just can't be alone, they need constant input from others. She sounds like that type, she also doesn't seem to be good at meeting people.
"Bradley said. "I found it exhausting having to figure out something to do every second and find a new place to see - figure out where it is, how to get there and then once you're there, look at it and leave, all without sharing the experience with anyone."
So, she wanted to travel, and travel solo, but without any of the travel stuff or the solo stuff. :BangHead:
up to you...
AdamS
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AdamS »

"It was partly my fault since I was isolating from the Hostel culture, but I was tired of having the same conversations over and over about where I was from, what places we travel to, and us all secretly competing with one another about who is the more worldly and adventurous." Really sympathise with this. Poor girl just needed someone engaging to talk to, or the motivation to start up a conversation with the right person/people.
'One child grows up to be, somebody who just loves to learn and another child grows up to be, somebody you just love to burn. Mum loves the both of them, you see it's in the blood.' :boxing:
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

There's no right or wrong here. I've done both, but prefer to travel alone unless I am with my S.O and its going well. Even when I travel with her, I tend to worry too much about her comfort, and that tires me more. I cannot just do whatever tf I want, because I am concerned for her experience. I also even fret more when booking accommodations because I don't like her to be disappointed if I make a mistake.

While girls can travel together all the time, if two guys do it, people think they are gay. That's another reason I don't like it.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I always end up travelling alone as it does not look right if I take any of my girls in the family with me.
Even when I have offered to take some '' not bar girls ''
traveling., it still does look right so I always end up traveling with my shadow.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic