Byron Bay, OZ

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Byron Bay, OZ

Post by Sailorman »

Has anyone here been to Byron Bay, OZ somewhat recently? I'm attending the Byron Bay Blues festival April 2015 and looking for good accommodations in the $90. to $120. a night range.(one person) Something close to the festival would be nice. Beach? Good pubs?

Anyone been to the festival? Any information would be appreciated. I'm thinking of flying into Sydney and taking the train up there, anyone done this? Accommodations in Sydney? I heard that in OZ some of the pubs have rooms, this would be my choice. Closest airport to Byron Bay and ground transport?

Touristy type stuff around Byron Bay or Sydney? Any beer brewerys in Sidney have tours (I home brew beer.) Any war, aircraft, military museums in Sydney (military buff.) Although a lot of my friends here are from OZ, none have been to the Blues festival in Byron Bay. (most wouldn't get past the brewery tour :-)

Anyone done motorcycle rental in OZ? A motorcycle roadtrip would be kind of fun. OZ gov. honor Cambo and US drivers licenses?

This will be my first time in OZ and its a check off on my Bucket List.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Byron Bay, OZ

Post by Username Taken »

I think Hotdigr is the person to talk to.

:beer3:
Born-Confused
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Born-Confused »

Great festival to go to! Was there for this years fest - awesome line up including Jack Johnson, Elvis Costello, Gregg Allman, Michael Franti, Grace Potter..... to name a few - went for 3 days.......awesome!

A couple of suggestions:
1) You're going to find it hard to get "good" accommodation (whatever that means). Byron Bay has become pretty trendy and touristy, and so alot of the apartments/hotels/motels are pretty pricey. You could think about the backpackers (there are several) - or even try airbnb.com - but coz it is peak time, unlikely to be in the range you specify. One option is to hire a combi, or a car with some camp gear, and camp at the farm where the fest is held. There are facilities (showers etc - but no power), you can get 5day, 3day and single day camp passes - still not cheap, but not bad.
2) There are some good breweries around Byron Bay - check our Stone and Wood (great place!) and the Byron Bay Brewery (m.byronbaybrewery.com.au).
3) And this might tie in with camping - you can fly to Ballina which is about a 30min drive from Byron Bay. There are car hire places - all the major ones, as well as campervans, and budget places as well.
4) Things to do:
- chill - although as pretty touristy and packed, not so easy to do with the crowd. The beach is long, so can always find a quiet spot.
- heaps of eateries, and drink spots around the town
- hire a surfboard, or get surf lessons - around $60 for a 2hr lesson
- go diving - both snorkel and tank spots are around and almost like the Great Barrier Reef in spots
- go for a tandem skydive over the bay......
- there a numerous trails and walks if that is your thing
- visit Nimbin and partake of their local produce :mrgreen:

5) You can hire a car/motorbike using your US license. I think the Cambo one won't float very well........

If I think of anything else, will get back to you later......... :thumb:
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Thanks for the info. What does a decent place go for a night during the festival and can you recommend a couple? As I live 5min walk to a white sand beach, that really doesn't interest me much. Being close to the festival or on a line with direct transportation is more important. Do you know where the closest train station is located?

I'm probably going to do three days then Sydney by train then I hear there is a big war museum in Canberra. Any suggestions on places to stay in central Sydney, Pubs, Pubs with rooms? Anyone been to the museum in Canberra?
Born-Confused
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Born-Confused »

So most of the apartments etc will be around the $300+ mark - you might be able to find cheaper....
A couple of suggestions - Outrigger - great location, but likely to already be booked out
Beaches of Byron - a little bit further out from the centre, but not too far.

The actual fest is not in Byron but about 10 - 15 kms out - and is actually closer to Ballina - place called Tyagarah Tea Tree Farm - but there are plenty of shuttle buses from byron daily (and also from Ballina). The accomm at Ballina is cheaper - but can't help with suggestions here as never stayed there....

As for the other stuff - not from Sydney or Canberra, so can't help......
Mrs Stroppy
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Mrs Stroppy »

The war memorial is with a visit if you're there. It's been about 15 years since I was there but it was great.
https://www.awm.gov.au/visit/
Using Tapatalk
Mrs Stroppy
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Mrs Stroppy »

*worth a visit
Using Tapatalk
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

I went on google earth and Tyagarah seems to be north of Byron Bay, Ballina south of BB? There are pictures of the Apra Blues Fest, is this the same place as the BB blues fest?
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I wouldn't worry about accommodation, Most of the people will stoned out of their brains or be on one long drinking binge then sleeping on the beach. Dont forget there is a great '' nudist beach '' at the north end, so travel light , you wont need clothes to wear while you visit. See you there. You'll recognize me by the tats on my lower extremities.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

With my body, I need clothes as to not scare the locals and tourists alike.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic