Mandalay-Hspiaw-Mogkok-Mandalay-Bagan

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Mandalay-Hspiaw-Mogkok-Mandalay-Bagan

Post by phuketrichard »

OK; quick up date from Mandalay, ( 10 pm curfew in Place but no troubles and it only affected 3-4 streets near our hotel. Locals said it has been overblown.

Mandalay is not that expensive, food sucks except for the middle class rests that serve Burmese food ( as much as you can eat for about $4. WE rented 125 honda dream Chinese copies for $10/day and headed east to Hspiaw where we then rode up into the Shan sate ( restricted area) and the town of Namhsan. Fucking fantastic scenery!!

Back down to Hspiaw an headed back towards Mandalay BUT took the turn off at Kyaukme . Destination- the closed city of Mogkok (city of Rubies) the ride was amazing even though half of it was done in the rain. Worst roads i have traveled in SE Asia ( and that includes Laos, Cambodia, all over Thailand, even Nepal and India) Made it to Mogkok and than found no one would rent us a room as we did not have official permission.
Ended up at the Butterfly resort set on a hill top over looking the city for ONLY $75. a $200 place in Thailand.

Headed back to Mandalay and were stopped and asked where we where coming from and how we got there. As it’s a closed area for foreigners without advance permission and a guide.
Next day I took the 6-30 am express ferry boat to Bagan ( $43 included breakfast an lunch) Local boat is $14 but 15 hours , ours was only 10 1/2
2 days/3 nights ( great room for $20/night) in Bagan and took the train back ( upper class $2.90) for a 9 hour ride. Plenty of tourist oriented shops, hotels/gh’s restaurants that all seem to serve Chinese, India, Thai, Burmese and it all is eatable but nothing to write home about. Even found a Neapli/Tibeatian rests.
Plus a GREAT bakery. Prices ranged from $2-5 .meal on par with Cambodia but not the quality you would get in Thailand.

There are a few options fof getting around to see the pagodas, Bicycles ( if ur a masochists) for $1/day, Ebikes for $8/day, horsecarts ( my choice ) for $20 an doff course tours bus’s and taxis.
Internet is what was in Phuket 12 years ago yet everyone has smart phones even thou sim cards are $150 each!!

short end of it,
headed back to Phuket tomorrow an will go thru the 2,000 ++ photos and do a proper write up
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Mandalay-Hspiaw-Mogkok-Mandalay-Bagan

Post by Milord »

I look forward to your write up. Did you find any gems?
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Nice snippet, sounds like an interesting trip. :thumb:
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Milord wrote:I look forward to your write up. Did you find any gems?
got a few small rough rubies :thumb:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

^ Always need souvenirs of a trip. lol

I'm happy getting a sea shell. :(
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic