Vietnam: don't use MB bank

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Vietnam: don't use MB bank

Post by shnoukieBRO »

The atm charged me a 49, 500 atm fee without advising me.
Plus the money was charged at their poor exchange rates instead of offical rates. Again I was not allowed to decline it.

When I went inside to complain the staff just gave me a call Centre number after laughing about it for a few minutes.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Vietnam: don't use MB bank

Post by timmydownawell »

That sucks, MB Bank is on the list of non-fee ATMs at https://www.dropbox.com/s/ajifjmncdazhz ... .xlsx?dl=0

The list for Vietnam is:

HSBC (withdrawal in HCMC)
ACB (up to 3m VND for Visa only!)
MB Bank (as of June 2017)
Saigon Commerical Bank (as of June 2017)
VP Bank (as of Mar 2018)

Obviously these things are often changing so maybe try another one of these.

edit: Wait, $2.13? You'll survive.
Last edited by timmydownawell on Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

Thanks TDAW. (Link no werkin )πŸ˜€

I since have read that this is common in Vietnam.
At least it's less than what most Banks charge in Cambodia. Especially it's only $2.13 but the Issue was about them failing to advise me about the charge, like every other Bank in the rest of the world does.😁
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

shnoukieBRO wrote: ↑Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:49 pm Thanks TDAW. (Link no werkin )πŸ˜€

At least it's less than what most Banks charge in Cambodia. Especially it's only $2.13 but the Issue was about them failing to advise me about the charge, like every other Bank in the rest of the world does.😁
My bank (Vietcombank) advises me of the charges. After I have pulled the money...... But seriously, compared to using my German card abroad, $2.13 is a pittance.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Try this link: http://bit.ly/thefreeATMlist It's an xlsx spreadsheet so might not work if you're using a phone.

Yeah that's a bit crappy not giving a warning but at least it wasn't $6+ like some ATMs.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

timmydownawell wrote: ↑Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:00 pm

Try this link: http://bit.ly/thefreeATMlist It's an xlsx spreadsheet so might not work if you're using a phone.

Yeah that's a bit crappy not giving a warning but at least it wasn't $6+ like some ATMs.
Thanks.link now works.

Looks like MB Bank needs to be taken off that list of no fee atms.

Yes it's a pittance but they should warn you. I was especially looking for a no fee atm, so it was really annoying when that happened.
It's interesting to note that MB Bank in Phnom Penh no longer allows Mastercard withdrawals.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

shnoukieBRO wrote: ↑Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:46 pm
Thanks.link now works.

Looks like MB Bank needs to be taken off that list of no fee atms.

Yes it's a pittance but they should warn you. I was especially looking for a no fee atm, so it was really annoying when that happened.
It's interesting to note that MB Bank in Phnom Penh no longer allows Mastercard withdrawals.
That's the weird thing about overseas bank subsidiaries, they do their own thing. CIMB of Malaysia has free MC withdrawals in Malaysia, but their ATM here refused my card outright. And Maybank also has free MC withdrawals in Malaysia but their Cambodian ATMs only accept Visa (previously free but started charging a fee a couple of years back).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic